• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cmp 2000xj

razor

NAXJA Forum User
While driving my oil pump drive shaft must have run low on oil (?) and got hot enough to melt the camshaft position sensor of course the engine would not run. When I replaced the oil pump drive and sensor I found three teeth broken off of oil pump shaft gear. The shaft was frozen in the pump drive assembly.
I removed the pan and looked at camshaft gear which was okay I also found the three teeth.
The XJ has 36,000 miles.
How common is this? Thanks

I have seen it a few times. Not too uncommon of a problem. I see it mostly in vehicles that don't get the oil changed too often, even at low mileage, but I don't know exactly why they fail. Not sure how to prevent it, but regular oil changes will help out for sure. Personally, I would carry a spare oil pump drive and sensor just in case.

Bryan

I have actually seen it quite a few times at my dealership. We have began to stack gaskets in order to attain a more desireable pattern on the drive gear. Much like setting up a ring and pinion... 2-3 gaskets seems to do the trick.

Gaskets

WNC Custom Jeeps said:
I have actually seen it quite a few times at my dealership. We have began to stack gaskets in order to attain a more desireable pattern on the drive gear. Much like setting up a ring and pinion... 2-3 gaskets seems to do the trick.

Do the gaskets lift the shaft so it may not pull down as much? Thanks for the information.

razor said:
The XJ has 36,000 miles.
How common is this? Thanks

Mine happened around 50k and I just replaced it has been 60k since with out a problem. I m not sure if it is anything more than poor ecection of the intended design.

Back