• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another MJ build thread ...

blondejoncherokee

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
So I picked up Pats MJ. The thing is pretty sweet. From all the variations of builds on my XJ, Ive decided to keep the MJ simple and bolt on(other than a cage )

specs:
1988 MJ
aw4
dana 30 CAD
dana 44 factory LSD
long bed
bucket seats

Smogged it, registered it and go plates for it.
fixed the floppy steering column, replaced the interior lights that no longer worked and fixed a ton of sloppy wiring around the dash.

the plan for now is front locker, 3.5" lift, 33s, rebuild rear posi, upgrade steering .

Parts I've gathered for it so far:

tires:
33" wrangler duratracs( i know they are no MTRs, but they were cheap used. ill go MTR later on)
Brand new black steelies from summit

Traction:
used lockright for the 30
need to order clutch packs to rebuild the rear LSD
solid dana 30 cover
ruffstuff 44 cover
alloy outer seals and a 760 one piece shaft to convert the pass side
spare front shafts

brakes:
dakota rear brake line
SS extended front lines
WJ booster and MC from my XJ
new centric premium rotors and pads for now

steering:
goferit insert
IRO solid stock tie rod
new TREs from rock auto
new stabilizer
RE track bar cross brace
MORE steering box brace
RE gen2 discos

Suspension:

rough country lowers (still need to pick them up skipper)
cut down the old RE 7.5" coils from my XJ into 3.5" coils
adjustable rough country uppers
bilstein 5100s front and rear
prothane front coil bump stops
RE double shear track bar and mount

cut down super long shackles that came with it to a 1.25" lift shackle
3" XJ AAL from IRO(not expected to net 3" of lift)
new dana 44 U bolts

armor:
Factory tow hooks
its got factory skids
I need to build some 78" long sliders for it
cut the rear quarter panels
build a rear bumper
going to build a cage for it sooner than later.

Tonight:
I installed the driver side rear AAL and it netted about 2.2-2.6" of lift- pre-settling- , so the 1.25" shackle should put it at ~3.5, but I am sure the leaves will settle to a lower height and ill need to add more leaves. and ill probably eventually just go SOA since the SUA is a massive boat anchor . Its really fun installing leaves with a ping pong table in your back...

3 tires:

XJ AAL:

Last edited:
Ya buddy! Wonder if when you go soa if you can find some flat leaves, maybe run fewer leaves and keep the mj main leaf. So it doesn't give u massive lift.

Yeah i hate the boat anchors going sua. They hang so low. Ill need to research whatothers have done for netting say 4.5" going soa.

Well those are the metric tonne leaves. So you should be good eliminating one I'd think. Or maybe replace aal but the main with a stock xj pack and work in an aal or whatever to get the height and when you load it down too.

If being spring under ends up being as bad as you imagine, then I think the only logical option would be to back half and link it with coilovers.

No other options really

At all

Ever

:p

After its all done i netted like 1" of lift in the rear with the 3" xj AAL. Ill be doing 1.5" lift shackles , fender trim, and longer rear bump stops now. And ill be looking for low profile spring perches to go SOA sooner than later and pull the damn AAL out and put stock shackles back on.

I am going to keep the stockers for now and use them once I go SOA, for now I am going to cut down these super long iron man ones, from a 3" lift shackle(they are like 9" long) to a 1.25" lift shackle.

Ill try to get the front lift on this weekend.

Got the lift mostly done. Just waiting on a trackbar ball sphere to show up.

Cut down the 9" long adjustable shackles into 1" lift shackles for an mj

Pulled shafts and installed a locker and hardened cross pin:

Had prothanes lying around :

Still need to swap hubs and replace U joints in the new 760 shafts. Also need to make a block off plate and not forget to install alloy outer seals.

Theres alot more to install this week. Beefed up steering. Steering box brace. New calipers pads and rotors. Longer brake lines. Hd cover. Trackbar amd discos. Go fer it insert. set toe in. Set caster. New stabilizer. And more stuff i am forgetting. I need to pickup those lowers from skipper. Anyone going near grass valley and back anytime soon?

Last edited:
You are a modifying machine Jon. When I get my rig done I would like to try my hand at a MJ too.

Added a zytanium cross pin I had lying around from my old dana 30 days when I installed the lockright. Made a block off plate for the 1 piece shaft conversion out of some 3" flat plate, and RTVd the alloy outer seals in, the pass side is the only seal. One thing to note, the bearing inside the CAD housing fits the shaft really snug and tight, so I don't expect a whole lot to leak past that, let alone the outer seal.

Last edited:
Drove it around for the first time. Brakes kind of suck. Super hard pedal. Makes me think the booster is done. Probably getting the WJ booster and master soon.

rear sits super low. I need to do the SOA now and not later.

front tires rub when turning. need to trim around there.

Back