• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 XJ Sport 4.0 AW4, Trans Line Convert PTFE-6AN

orlowand

NAXJA Forum User
I've tried searching the forums and have not been able to find an answer:

I am looking to convert to 6AN PTFE stainless braid hose for my transmission cooling lines.

I believe the brass fitting protruding at the top of the stock radiator (return to trans) is not removable as it may have been prior to 1998. (Is this true?)

I need to adapt this to the -6AN line ends I'm planning to use for my new lines.

Looking at the radiator, I think this is a 3/8" SAE compression fitting 45 degree tip but it only has just over a 1/4 inch of threads protruding which I count 4 but not sure as I'm blind as a bat...

Can anyone advise on what the specific thread size of the radiator top transmission cooling port is?
Any advise on an adapter to get it to -6AN?

For the lower connection, the hot side, I'm looking to use Russell 644123 EFI Adapter Fitting -6 An Male To 3/8" Sae Quick Disconnect Female Screw Type: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...MIoNfBi-WH6wIVxR-tBh0VvQQwEAQYASABEgLfgvD_BwE

Any advise on this one? Is there a better way? (Other than using Earl's)

Thank You

You don't even want that #6 to a AN fitting, just get a #6 to "quick couple" fitting.

orlowand said:
Hello,
I'm writing to you as I've seen you post on the benefits of getting rid of the transmission line QCs and converting to braided ss...

I am looking to convert to 6AN PTFE stainless braid hose for my transmission cooling lines and have a question you might help with.
I have a '98 XJ Sport 4.0 AW4.

I believe the brass fitting protruding at the top of the radiator (return to trans) is not removable as it may have been prior to 1998. I need to adapt this to the -6AN line ends I'm planning to use.

So far I think this is a 3/8" SAE compression fitting 45 degree tip but it only has just over a 1/4 inch of threads protruding which I count 4 but not sure as I'm blind as a bat...

Can you advise on how you made the connections to the radiator?

Do you know what the specific thread size of the radiator top transmission cooling port is?
Any advise on a adapter to get it to -6AN?

Again, I have a 1998 Cherokee XJ Sport 4.0 AW4

Thank you for your time...
Andy O.

Everything I used is in my thread, no matter what what your radiators uses they make that fitting! https://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1148286

Thank you RCP Phx. I know there had to be a thread out there somewhere...

The specific thread size of the radiator top transmission cooling port is 5/8"-18 45degree SAE Flare.
This is not an NPT thread and I've found little hope in finding a small footprint adapter to bring this directly to 6AN male.

Since a typical 3/8 flare nut fits on the radiator top port I will use that along with a small stub of 3/8 tubing flared to fit.
From there one can use a 3/8 tube compression to -6AN adapter to connect the 6AN transmission line end fitting such as Russell 639200 or Russell 639210.

Thank You

See/re-read post 20, my rad was 5/8-18 and I just bought the adapter.

BTW, there is no need for any compression fittings.

Thanks for the follow up RCP...

I am planning to use the '3/8 EFI SAE Female with the threaded collar for the lower radiator connection.

I looked through the 'Fittings & Hoses/Universal Fittings' search tool on Summit's web site and was not able to find an adapter with a 5/8"-18 45* SAE Flare female to a 6AN male for the top radiator connection.

Can you help me understand what adapter you mentioned buying for the top radiator port?

Is it a 5/8"-18 inverted flare like Russell AN to Inverted Flare Fittings 640610 that I should use...???

Which external cooler did you use? Is that a Hayden 512?

Thanks Again for your help!!!

I ask about the cooler because it look's like a Hayden 678 or 679.
What adapters did you use to get the AN connectors on the hose barbs these come with?

Thanks Again!!

The cooler is the size of a 678 but I don't remember what brand it was but it came with #6 AN (male) on it. My upper fitting was this one but it's the same idea.... https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-220667b
P1080547_zpsfmo2nspb.jpg

It's Hayden #689

I think I mis-posted the part # in post 30, I believe it is actually 611200 or 611203.

OK, thank you RCP.
I think I see the difference. Your radiator allowed you to remove the top connector and replace it. My OE radiator does not.

I'll probably just re-use the OR hardline for the return till the radiator needs replacing.

Back