• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

year specific lift question, '95 xj, 3" lift

redxjjoe

NAXJA Forum User
I'm about to do a 3" lift on a '95 Cherokee Country XJ. Without getting EVERYBODY'S opinion on EVERYTHING from '88 to '04, what Brand, model and/or shock length's have worked best on a '95 XJ? Granted, from all the posts I've read, every XJ will be different and my lift may end up being 2 1/2" to 3 1/2" +-, etc., etc., ad nausium, but what I'm looking for is something in the ballpark so as to make the selection process a little easier and not so much "trial and error". In other words, if some one has done it already, why should I (or any one else with the same situation) have to re-invent the wheel?

Here's my "flame": I often see a question posted where "everyone" has an opion, even in some cases where the opionionator had NO experience with the particular subject and/or his particular experience or vehicle was no where within the year/make/model range of the questioners. :skull1:

the year doesn't mean NEAR as much as drivetrain (engine, tranny, rear axle)

You didn't really specify what kind of wheelin' you want to do and how stiff/soft of a shock you want.

One thing I would DEFINITELY suggest is to hold off on the shocks until you get the lift installed. with a 3", you can run the stock shocks. once you get the lift installed, put on YJ brake hoses all around, take off the shocks, and flex it up. get maximum droop on the driver's front and pass rear then get maximum stuffage on the opposing corners. MEASURE how much shock you need (and if you need to trim, or extend bumpstops, do this also)

from there, consider how much stuff you carry, and if you tow often (firmer shocks help keep control in these situations)

if you do high-speed dune hopping, you'll want a remote reservoir shock, if you spend all your time on the highway, and want a good ride, you might want a softer shock and a stiffer swaybar

You are going to get a WIDE RANGE of opinion answers because there will not be one single person that has the exact same stuff as you and does the exact same things. You really need to learn about tuning your suspension to fit YOUR needs. There's nothing really special about a '95 XJ that makes it require a certain shock, it's what you DO with that 95 XJ that determines the optimal shock to run.

also, telling us what lift you're running and any other parts that go along with it will help us help you better.

With the exception of minor changes to the front end in 1987 to allow room for the 4.0L, the XJ Cherokee remained unchanged body-wise from introduction (1984) through 1996. The 1997-2001 bodies looked slightly different but still retained the same mechanicals underneath so your 1995 XJ isn't any more (or less) special than anyone elses. You already know your answer

Well, I'll give my $.02 since I have a '95.

First off, don't get Ranchos unless you want an extremely harsh ride, even on the softest setting.

I am very happy with the OMEs I have just bought, and wouldnt change them for anything. Also, look into buying some BPEs. No specific reason, but they get rid of those annoying bar pins, and and a little length.

Fergie

Back