• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

95 2.5 2dr 2wd rally XJ

Dano

NAXJA Member #1269
I have been thinking of making a rally Jeep out of my buddies Jeep since he is going to be selling it in about a month and I am kinda looking to ditch my '93 2 dr 4.0 5sp 4wd that is my DD.

93 chassis is shot, but 95 chassis is in great shape as i am told.

Just thinking about it right now no offical plans yet. I also would want to run a 2wd or else get stuck in the 4wd class with the stock subarus

What can i do to the 2.5 for more power/speed?

Swap in a 4.0L (that seems to be the concensus on all the 2.5L "more power" threads I've read).Try a search, there have been plenty of threads on this issue.

It's all about class. I think I would have to stay in the 4cyl class.
Don't or maby can't swap in a 4.0 I think I would have to run a 4cyl till i get a lisence, but i would rather run with the 4cyl 2wd's first.

Hell, I'd rebuild the thing and slap either a turbo or a blower on it, probably better to run turbo. I dunno how strong the block is, but I think those WRC cars run around 30psi of boost (ie, 44.7psia). You're looking at around 3x stock power for that, especially if it's intercooled down to 30psi, then you're looking at more than that. (pressure increases proportionately to volume @ same temperature)
There's always happy gas too, or modify the motor to run a methanol blend. Or alcohol injection, which will allow you to run a much higher compression ratio, but you won't see the same power gains as forced induction. Again though, do a search, there's plenty of info I've seen on this forum about building the 2.5 to be a mad squirrel.

Basic stuff for that model year 2.5 for small gains are a 4.0L tb, stage 3 cam(now discontinued) exhaust header, and open air intake. All I have done, except that cam, that is still on the shelf. Seat of the pants I can feel a slight difference and its a 4wd with 4.10's and 33's! Let me know if you want to hear more of my ideas. I'm a 2.5L lover....

Dano said:
awesome ghost. what about somthing like this:
Jeep 4.0 62MM THROTTLE BODY
I would stick with the factory 4.0L to start with. One of the rags JP I think did a Big bore one and it caused issues. My theory too much air and not enough fuel. Other things I did not mention are the adjustable MAP and the Adjustable CPS..... The beauty of the 91-96 2.5L is they are really close to the 4.0L so what you do to the 4.0L you can do to the 2.5L..... Look for the stage 3 cam on ebay... MIght be hard to find. I have one and so does eagle but neither of us have installed it yet to my knowledge.... My build up will include a 3 angle valve job head work and a .60 over bore... but I got to build a decent drivetrain first. I'm in the middle of sourcing parts for the D44 and flat top knuckles... HTH

Back