• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 with Aussie help removing broken axle stub

Qban

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, I was hoping you guys could help with some tricks. I have a broken axle piece on the driver side stuck in the d30 carrier with an Aussie locker. I can't remove the carrier cause the broken piece is just a little too long. I can't remove the Aussie cause the ring gear won't let me push out the carrier cross shaft. I tried pulling from the broken shaft side with some strong magnets, but it felt pretty wedged in there. I can't push it out from the other side cause the Aussie and and carrier cross shaft are in the way. This is like a terrible jigsaw puzzle. Do you guys have any suggestions??? I'm stumped.

gotta get the cross shaft out, then pull locker halves and push it through

I don't see any way that I can get the cross shaft out. it's the larger carrier with 4.56 gears and the ring gear is in the way of the cross shaft sliding out.

How did you put it together? You're supposed to index the gear and grind a couple teeth to install the cross-shaft.

Its been a while since I put it together, but I never ground any teeth. So I probably installed the locker then torqued down the ring gear.

I was looking at grinding teeth, but they would have to be ground quite a bit to get the shaft out. I was never comfortable grinding away teeth.

thought about popping the ring gear off with it installed, just not sure it would give you enough clearance.

with the correct gear pattern, the missing part of the tooth is not an issue

I had the same thing happen, with and Aussie in Moab years ago. I got a long flat blade screwdriver, and was able to push the broken stub piece out. Can't remember if the Aussie is through holed, but you could pull the other side and use a long piece of something to knock it out.

I dont think you can get away with grinding the D30 with 456s like you can other axles. If i remember right the cross sits really low on the gear.

If the splines are not twisted and its more of the fact you cant grab the broken part and a magnet wont help then just take a length of PVC pipe with a rubber cap on the end. Cut a hole thats a little smaller than the shaft and force the shaft into the cap then pull it out.

The other thing you can try if its really stuck is use a length of pvc pipe to insulate a length of like 1/16 or 1/8th rod. Use a stick welder and connect one clamp to the rod and the other to the carrier. Try and stick the rod to the shaft and pull it out.

I have used this trick and it works.
First removing the long piece of broken axle shaft from the axle housing. Second take three stick welding rods and weld or fuse them together end to end. Then slide a rubber hose over the length of the three welding rods with one end exposed about 1/2 inch and the other end clamped in the welder stinger. Insert the weld rod assembly into the axle housing so the ½ inch exposed rod end is in direct contact with the end of the axle shaft. While holding it firmly against the axle shaft end have some one turn on the welder for a couple of seconds and the weld rod will fuse its self to the end of the axle. Then just pull the broken piece out.

Note:
Make sure the welding rod is in contact with the axle shaft before turning on the welder. This can be done by using a small flash light and looking into the axle housing.
Good luck

Back