• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97+ Door removal questions

sinat01

NAXJA Forum User
So does anyone have a good way to make 97+ doors removable, and that wont leak? all the threads I have found have had the pics kidnapped by photobucket so they don't help.
I thought about using 3/8s pins or bolts and bronze bushings but the bushings that are 3/8s ID are also 1/2" OD. do the hinges have enough to drill them out that big?
I'm not worried about the wiring, I have a 2 door with power mirrors and manual everything else, and my speakers are powered off an amp so I'm gonna make a disco for them.
Thank ya
Hasta

Did exactly what you're proposing - drilled for bushings, welded pins to the door side. Has held up great for several years.

Bushings are 7/16 OD, 5/16 ID. McMaster part number 2938T32.

Originally used standard grade 8 bolts for the pins but after one winter had rust issues. Bought stainless bolts the following summer and have had no problems since. Originally modified the doors in 2012.

Neither side seals anymore, but that's due to trail damage to the hinge or latch area that occurred wheeling with the doors off, not because the hinges started sagging or anything.
9b8af45e7bceb79d6d494528e394a3f2.jpg
edc9305732831b0155c78280ad3cebd5.jpg
99559472a78df794b013f9e52b83c227.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

whys it look like there are two pins on each hinge? and did you cut the bottom off the top hinge?
and before the trail damage, did they seal up beforehand?

Last edited:
whys it look like there are two pins on each hinge? and did you cut the bottom off the top hinge?
The second pin is the door stop... Keeps the door from swinging too far open since the door checks are no longer used. It's part of the factory hinge, just leave it the when you make your cuts.

Yes I cut the bottom part off of the top hinge - easier to align things that way.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

so bushings came in today. my thoughts since I have a 2 door. if I welded a pin in for the top, cut the bottom part off of both sides of the upper hinge off. then drilled and put the bushings in on the bottom hinge but didn't cut the bottom hinges do you think itd be stronger that way? id have one pin to remove and the top one would just slide in.

Back