• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rebuilding Bilsteins

ert01

NAXJA Forum User
I'm asking in this section not because I have a prerunner but because I think this crowd probably will have the most experience with rebuilding shocks...

Anyways, I'm running Bilstein 5160's and they're in desperate need of a rebuild... there's simply not much dampening happening anymore. I liked the original valving and I'm not keen to change it. Just want them refreshed back to normal again.

My brother in law is an aircraft mechanic and he can refill the shocks with nitrogen for me and he also has some different strut oils that he says I can use. He has Royco 756 and Royco LGF... I may play around with trying out some of those fluids unless someone here specifically says it's a bad idea. They both seem to have similar cSt @40C and @100C as most 5wt shock oils so it may be an OK option to test out.

I've found videos on how to add the schrader valve to the nitrogen reservoir and it looks pretty straightforward but I haven't found much else regarding rebuilding these shocks. I don't even know what rebuild kits to buy since Bilstein says they're non rebuildable.

Do I just buy the kits for the 7100 series or is there another kit you guys know of that would work for me?

Thanks in advance

If memory serves me correctly I think Dallas (StinkyFab/SFR) knows something about that subject. I seem to recall something about the subject in the 4643 build thread. It might be worth a PM to him or Cal.

Put me down as being interested in what you learn on this subject.

I'll keep you posted. Cal and I have been PM'ing but we've both found the same information (or lack thereof).

I'll probably just have to dig into one of my shocks and compare the internals with the 7100 rebuild kit and see if it'll work or not.

Based off everything I've read, the piston diameter is the same (46mm) even though the design itself is a bit different (digressive on the 5160 vs linear for the 7100). The part number for the 7100 series piston is U37 but there is no part number listed for the 51XX series piston. I'm hoping they share a common wear band and seals.

I'll let you know what I find when I crack em open. Gotta find some temporary shocks to run in the meantime while these are on the bench.

billstine shaft seals and orings are hard to find because everything is in metric. you might be able to find them direct from billstien but usually they are not common to find from another source.

Back