• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

H.D. Offroad no lift shackle relocation install

I know they will improve the shackle angle, but will these fix my unintended shackle bump stop against the bumper?

Tell me "yes" and I will order a set today.

Bonk.jpg

Actually, if you gain no lift, but put your shackle in a position that it is at a 45 degree angle, it should solve your issue, since the bottom end of the shackle will swing up(and a little back) instead of straight back.

Actually, if you gain no lift, but put your shackle in a position that it is at a 45 degree angle, it should solve your issue, since the bottom end of the shackle will swing up(and a little back) instead of straight back.

Actually the lift brackets would probably help as it would move everything down.

The no lift brackets would not help in this situation (ride and flex would be better but they would still hit bumper), but if you did add them and move to the other hole in the shackle you would get a ton more down travel.

Actually the lift brackets would probably help as it would move everything down.

The no lift brackets would not help in this situation (ride and flex would be better but they would still hit bumper), but if you did add them and move to the other hole in the shackle you would get a ton more down travel.

Maybe I am looking at the picture wrong, but if you keep the spring eye in the same spot, no lift, yet mount the shackle so that it is at a 45 degree angle, how could it touch the bumper? The shackle would have to mount about 3 inches forward and the arc of the shackle could never reach the bumper.

Looking at the pic he only has about an inch of clearance, so something will be hitting that bumper. The spring eye will still be traveling back and up, the hit may not be as severe but I am guessing it would still hit.

It's for bolt to go into the stock location, its ovaled so the bracket can be moved up and down depending on if you want it above or below a hitch/skid or both.

I'm not quite sure I follow what you mean. Why would one want to use the original "stock" location for the shackle? Sorry if I'm being thick headed, but I'm just trying to wrap my head around this install before I buy one.

There is a bolt that goes into the stock loaction for strength, it is not for someone to run a shackle in the stock location. It is ovaled so the bracket can be against the frame or below a hitch or skid.

look at the fourth pic in this write up.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1097784

Thanks Brian, I completely understand now. I purchased mine today, can't wait to get this thing done and get a smoother ride.

Last edited:
Installed mine yesterday. Very happy with how it all went.

This is for all you rough country lift kit owners with the 4.5 inch leaf springs (sold with the 4.5 and 6.5 inch kits).

My reason for buying these was to correct my heinous shackle angle after installing some rough country 4.5 inch leaf springs. It's a well known issue that Rough Country makes their leaf springs way too short. While they do sell some relocation brackets, their lift kits are sold without them and the 4.5 kit like I have is advertised to work with stock shackles. When you install these leaves they look like this:

20121002082952-8784290e-me.jpg

I was worried that even with a relocation kit, I wouldn't be able to attain a reasonable shackle angle. I also didn't want to add much more lift (if any)... but, after getting some longer shackles and the no-lift brackets I ended up with this:

20131019205716-047b22af-me.jpg

This was my trial fitting and I think I might not have enough shackle angle (a problem I never thought I'd have). I may still try different mount holes but at least I know I have enough mounting options to get it sorted.

So... if you have RC leaf springs with a bad shackle angle and you don't want more lift, I recommend these! They are beefy.

Well, I installed these.

I have some questions, give me a call back Brian.

I installed mine as well and the stock shackles are hitting the frame side of the relocation brackets. Very jarring and noisy. If I use a different hole to avoid this I end up lifting the jeep higher and that is what I am trying to avoid. Any thoughts brian?

Just installed it with a 6" tomken leaf and the angle is good but I've lost uptravel as the shackle hits the rear frame. I'm sure a longer shackle will help but I don't want more lift. Using the upper bolt holes with a longer shackle should solve this correct?
Would you suggest a RE boomerang style shackle. 5" eye to eye or 6" eye to eye.

What kind of shackes are you running now? You should post a pic to show how they're set up. A longer shackle in the upper holes may solve your problem if you can also move it forward, but it's hard to know for sure without actually seeing your current setup.

I have a stock shackle with a 4.25" eye to eye. I have it in the back most hole. I tried it in the bottom back hole but the angle was too severe. I'm thinking a 6" shackle in the front top hole. Any thoughts?

I'm more interestered in the tank skid. Shaped like a rear diffuser! LOL What's the story with that?

its an OEM skid. late model? ZJ maybe? i forget exactly...

Funky. I'll have to take a closer look next time at the wrecker. It's so weird looking.

Best shackle angle I could get with the stock shackles..

IMG_20140120_220550.jpg

IMG_20140120_220527.jpg

Any suggestions on lift shackles to improve the angle?

I welded the shackle boxes to frame inserts I made to beef up my cracked frame. I'll be posting a writeup on that at some point for anyone else interested.

Back