• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sfr tie rod

cwyman6

NAXJA Forum User
Has anybody else bent a sfr wj aluminum tie rod? It flexed 6in on a rock a few times but the last time it didnt return straight. When I checked the toe it was toed out a inch so the bar must have stretched

No way it would snap back straight and be stretched. Aluminum doesnt work like that. Check for some other bent parts. Could be blown out balljoints or unit bearings or bent inner Cs.

I have the sfr tie-rod on my jk44 front. Very similar. I bulldoze rocks all day long for two seasons. Always snaps back straight. I can and have used it as a jack point.

Well not this one. Everything is new on that front end. I'll snap some pictures when I get a chance. Looks like a frown

Well it may bend but it sure didn't stretch so something else happened or your measurements weren't correct to begin with.

I pulled it off last night and sitting on the ground I can almost get my finger under the center. I'll take a picture. Warranty? Also found out I got cracks in my ring gear. Luckily I bought the yukon extended warranty

Honestly I'd question the ground being truly flat, but get the pictures and lets look at them. You don't happen to have a strait edge you can drop on it do you?

7075 doesn't just bend like that. If you did manage to bend it there would be huge stress cracks in it, and usually it will break in half (we have seen 1 break, on an ultra4 car).

I got a piece of angle iron. I'll pull the ends off tonight and snap some pics. Just got to figure out how to post them lol

I'll PM you my email address, send them to me and I'll post them for you.

Well yeah, that's bent, you did something good. I would adjust the toe and keep going. There's nothing in this picture that worries me at all.

20200413_193418-me.jpg

20200413_193837-me.jpg

I'd clean it up with a scotch Brite pad first, why run aluminum steering it it ain't gonna be pretty. But as others said it seems ok. Just odd to have that kind of bend

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Since it's 7075 before you reinstall it, suggest you look more closely for cracks. Leave it as-is before you do this, don't scotch brite it or sand it down with sand paper or you'll just fill in any possible cracks. Take a magnifying glass and look on the outside bend under good light.

Will do. I have been running it for about a year but I'm adding a ram so want to make sure it's good. And everyone said they dont bend hahaha

Assuming that is for a WJ converted Xj that is the correct length.

If its the inverted T 1 ton kit you have done something terrible... ;)

Everything sounds legit then. If you don't see any cracks in it, grab yourself a good 1.5" clamp and get that assist installed.

Pretty impressed at the carnage you have done but that tie rod is far from dead.

Back