• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fabbing Rear 4 Link - Sway Bar?

XJ_4LOW

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all -

New here. Just got an XJ - 96 with a 5 speed.

Given a sudden need to stay put (pandemic, etc), I've started digging into building it up. Pulled the floors to fabricate a new interior (4pt roll cage, rear seat elim, 2xbattery, new seats) and decided to do some more work now that the floors are totally out from the firewall to the hatch.

Namely, I'm fabbing up a 4 link to ditch the rear leaf suspension. Moving to fox coilovers. Keeping the D35 for now, but making a truss that will move over to an 8.8" when the time is right.

Finally to the question!

This did not have a rear sway when I got it. Should I be yanking one from a boneyard to install with the 4 link?

Thanks!

Yes. Lots of talk about "keep the sway bar" vs "remove the sway bar" with leaf spring guys, but nothing I could find that was 4 link specific.

I found the front sway bar to be more detrimental to road manners then the rear in my ZJ. 4linked rear and front radius long arms both from claytons. I ditched the rear sway bar when I was riding adjustable short arms and the rig was pretty firm still with the front sway connected. Long arms everything felt smoother ride wise, but definitely got a little boat like with both sway bars off/ discod.

I think it’s a matter of preference and driving style on the pavement. If you drive it like a lifted Jeep, then running just the front aught to suffice. That said, it isn’t much work to add and have the ability to feel both? Can’t say that any of the Crew ran rear sways long arms or no come to think of it...

Last edited:
Probably going to need the rear for some stability, but there isn't much from a junkyard that's going to put up with that kind of articulation for long. Something like a Currie or Sway Away would be best.

Last edited:
Back