• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Total newbie heim joint questions.

Abarstatis

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all!

Just recently joined the xj club. I have a 2001 xj that has quite a bit of work done to it. For about a week now it's been making a single pop going around right hand corners. It does have a 3.5 inch lift and a cavfab steering set up, and I think I've narrowed down the pop to the passenger side and pitman arm heim joints. There is no lateral movement in the joints, but they do move about a quarter inch up an down. They are both also at angles, which I think is clocking?

Anyways, here is my question. Does this mean I need to swap out the heim joints? Or do they just need adjusted, greased, or is this normal? Can some one give me a quick and dirty heim joint education?

Thanks in advance!

Anna

Can you share a vid. A link can flop side to side causing a clicking sound. This is normal

I can try to get a video, but it's not gonna be today unfortunately. It's not really a click. But a loud pop, loud enough that I can hear it while driving. And it does it intermittently? I had my buddy turn it and I sat under it and watched and it wasn't noise from it moving up and down. It seemed to me like it was binding and releasing.

I'm new though and I have no idea how old the joints are.

I've had joints go bad in just a couple days and otheres last years.
Play in the same direction ad the bar isnt good a very little might be okay. Up and down also not good

I looked up the cab fab steering they dont list what size heims are used so I'll assume they are 3/4" heim joints wich are often used because they are some of the cheapest on the market.
The heims are a wear item (consumable) often wear quickly in steering application specially the smaller joints

Id get a wrench on all the components for starters. The track bar bracket is known to loosen. Id also check motor mounts cuz they cause odd things (had death wobble once from blown mounts).
While you are under there check your control arm bushings and any tierod ends

Back