• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Welding Gas Tank Echange - question

gearwhine

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,

Just getting back into welding and making some skids for my jeep. Been quite a while since I've dealt with any gas suppliers.

I had to get my old 60cf co2/argon tank filled on Friday. Before I knew it, I'm back in my garage noticing it's way smaller. They exchanged out with a 40cf. Foolish me for not noticing before I walked away.

I owned the 60cf tank...it was also in need of a hydrotest (told ya it's been a while). They did not charge me a hydrotest for the tank they took, but gave me the smaller tank (and charged me for only 40cf of gas).

I called back and they told me that's normal..."We treat everything as 40cf, and a 60cf would just be a bonus". I'm thinking I got played, because now I own a 40cf tank and not a 60cf.

Is this a normal thing? What would you guys do? I plan to go back there tomorrow, however.... knowing full well they likely don't have my old tank still sitting there.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I hope you get that resolved, I went thru a similar thing with a couple of 80cf aluminum bottles.

Yeah...I feel like a pretty big buffoon trusting what they did at the time. It was sold to me by one guy, and I spoke with a different person on the phone....not just a single employee doing this. I'll let you guys know what happens.

I've got an off sized tank 94cf, bigger than the 80 I owned and exchanged. They should at least give you the option to upcharge to the next size up if they dont use 60s, or downgrade. At a minimum they should of let you know, but maybe they did the smaller bottle not to overcharge the next size up for a tank they dont carry?

It wont help now, but ask the retailer how the transaction works before committing. As a kid my dad asked me to get an exchange acetylene tank on my way home from school. So out came the front passenger seat in my Bug, tank goes in the car, and on the way home from school I exchanged the tank. Dad was not happy cause them guys changed the tank type, rather than a round hand knob valve on top of the the tank, this new tank valve required a square key wrench to operate, a wrench he did not have. an open end wrench would not fit do to a guard around the top of the tank.
Next day, back to the store to buy the T handle long reach square bottle wrench.

The take on it is ask first, you never know what you may get.

Thanks everyone,

I went down there this morning. It turns out 4x4Jeep pretty much hit it on the nail. Mine was shown to me as an off-sized that I was always told was/thought of as a 60cf (I suppose I never double checked it, and always just refilled it previously). They went through it with me, and said mine was a 48cf. I just shrugged my shoulders and said F it, I'll keep the 40cf and moved on. I got the gas when I needed it and they didn't charge me nor make me wait for a hydrotest.

It would've been nice for them to tell me about this at the time, but I wouldn't have gone to the larger tank anyway. I just don't use it enough to need anything larger than what I had.

Back