• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Please help, major locker issues.

FleXJ96

NAXJA Forum User
I just recently put a Spartan in a D30 and an Aussie in the 8.25 on 33s. Both Lunch box style. Both front and rear bind BAD! And have trouble un locking a lot. If I step on the gas in the sand the rear clunks and makes a pop so loud and violent everyone comes over to see the axle they just think I broke. And just past week or so When I turn out of my neighborhood on to a straight road the rear end pops once and kicks my a$$ end over and then pops again almost changing lanes on me.

And the front binds so bad that the wheel locks and I cant even turn , then another violent and very loud bang! I know how lunch boxes are suppose to sound and feel all my friends have them. Mine do not feel right, either one. They gapped right , even tire pressure, and If I jack up with end, they spin and act normal with tires in opposite directions. A nice even ratchet. What could be wrong with both Lockers? Thanks

I had no issues with my front Lock-rite, the rear Aussie was a different story. It was pretty loud when locking and unlocking. The rear diff also seemed to get hotter than ussual. But after a few hundred miles it quieted down & stop running so hot. May just need a little break in period.

The Aussie called for the Spartan said not to reuse the thrush washer. I thought break in too, the Spartan was new but the Aussie already had a 1000 miles on it. It's not just loud , but not operating correctly :-/ don't really know what to do. I pulled the cover and the spartan worked correctly , wheels off the ground. I have to check the Aussie. I guess a spring could be damaged.... Sucks just want to wheel !

stupid question, but what transfer case are you running?

You can't really drive around in full time 4wd (well...you can, but it acts up like the described problems here) with mechanical/automatic lockers. Arb's or limited slips only for AWD use on the road.

Lunch box lockers eliminate the only real advantage you get out of the 242, which is SelecTrac, or the ability to use full time 4 wheel drive on the road.

Actually, that's wrong. The 242 is also a bit more rugged as well, but suffers from a lack of after-market parts and the need to hack and tap when eliminating the slip yoke...

I run a 242 with my spartan up front. It works fantastic with no problems on the street whatsoever in 2WD. It clicks a bit, but not as bad as the OP's. I just wouldn't run it in 4WD Full Time on the street. Off road, in 4hi or 4lo it's awesome. It almost sounds like the OP is running in 4wd on the street with them binding so badly. I would attribute the rear Aussie to being used and maybe needs new springs. The front Spartan should click a little, but not bind unless making very tight turns on pavement or in 4WD on pavement. If no thrust washers and the gap in spec, it should work fine unless a spring popped out or didn't seat right in the spartan. I have read of this problem ocurring when the gap of the spartan locker is on the lower end of the gap range (i.e. smaller gap) but still within spec.

If it's a 231 wasn't there a discussion about the mode spring getting weak and keeping them in 4H? I agree there should not be that sort of bind without being in 4H.

so would trutrack in the back be ok?

< temp hijack - TT is great all around, they work so well you won't hardly know you ever spun, you just go! - end hijack >

Back