• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swapped in a 94 cluster, swapped out the sensor in the T-stat housing, gauge reads 0

Plays For Jeeps

NAXJA Forum User
I have a feeling that the guys either gave me a sensor for a GRAND Cherokee or I replaced the wrong sensor.

My buddy whos a mechanic insisted that the T-stat housing sensor was for the gauge. I told him that I was 99% sure that the sensor in the T-stat was for the ECU. Now the gauge reads 100 wether the Jeep is on or off.

Do I need to put the sensor back in that I took out and use the new sensor in the block by the firewall?

And yes, the sensor is a two wire. It doesn't ground to the t-stat housing.

Thanks guys!

Re: Swapped in a 94 cluster, swapped out the sensor in the T-stat housing, gauge reads 0

the sensor is not in the t-stat housing or the ECU. It is located in the top, rear of the head.

the sensor in the t-stat housing is for the e fan

Plays For Jeeps said:
I have a feeling that the guys either gave me a sensor for a GRAND Cherokee or I replaced the wrong sensor.

My buddy whos a mechanic insisted that the T-stat housing sensor was for the gauge. I told him that I was 99% sure that the sensor in the T-stat was for the ECU. Now the gauge reads 100 wether the Jeep is on or off.

Do I need to put the sensor back in that I took out and use the new sensor in the block by the firewall?

And yes, the sensor is a two wire. It doesn't ground to the t-stat housing.

Thanks guys!

99 percent is close enough, I guess. The correct gauge sensor is indeed the one in the head. The one in the T-stat housing is for the ECU. The gauge sender is a one-wire sensor, using the same connection as the idiot light sensor. Until you get it replaced, you can use the gauge as it is as if it were an idiot light: Pinned is normal; if it overheats, the gauge will drop to zero.

Re: Swapped in a 94 cluster, swapped out the sensor in the T-stat housing, gauge reads 0

^Thanks guys I thought I was right.

Ill have to swap the sensor I took out back into the T-stat and then take the one from the T-stat and put in the rear of the block.

I thought it was odd how everyone on here complained about how hard it was to get out the old one lol.

Anyone know if the Cherokee and the Grand Cherokee sensors are the same?

Go to the dealer for your GAUGE sender.....I've heard about alot of the non-dealer senders not calibrating themselves with the gauge, etc.....

Back