• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CEL Confusion

Yr? Are there any symptoms associated with the cel? Have you checked to see what the code is? That's a good place to start.

Move to oem tech.

Last edited:
flick the key on/off 3 times and then leave it on. If there is no fault, it'll flash a 55.

If there's a fault, it'll flash the fault code and then 55 to end the message.

The part that flashes is the actual check engine light. pretty cool.

Take a pen and paper, count the flashes in groups, and then post up all the numbers.

probably something like 2,3,5,5

Ok, so that's code 34, with 55 as end of code.

In my reference guide Code 34 comes off as:

Cruise control circuit - Fault in circuit

Found this reference to a fix related to code 34:

my 91 cherokee was runnin very rough, loadin up after about ten mins, and dying then it wouldnt start back up for a couple of hrs. i pulled the codes and all it showed was a 34 which was open circuit vaccuum. after checking all vaccuum hoses and switching the map sensor it is running a lot better and not dying and cranking every time. but i still have a check engine light sayin code 34 and yes i unhooked the battery. any ideas? it does idle a little spiratic but not bad

Here's another response:

the line off of your MAP sensor may be clogged. Blow it out with high pressure compressed air. I reccommend you disconnect your battery for a minimum of half an hour, some people recommend to touch the battery cables together for 15 seconds to clear the computer.
I would also blow out the orifice in the Throttle Body that MAP vaccum hose connects to.

try these things and see if it works.
Maybe some other people will come on here and give you more ideas.

Back