• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

drivetrain noise

RaccoonJoe

NAXJA Forum User
91 XJ, AW4, 231 t-case

I've got a noise coming from under my Jeep, sounds like it's coming from the area of the e-brake handle. It's very faint, can only be heard when driving with radio and heater off.

This sounds almost like a bad bearing growl, but under water. I checked the t-case, and put in almost 3 pints (manual calls for 3.3 pints) The noise got a little bit quieter, but not much.

Any ideas?

I'm going to say that yes, the transfer case was almost empty. I filled it up till the fluid came pouring back out of the upper plug, correct?

Did some checking tonight. The faster you go, the louder the noise gets. It seems to get quieter while accelerating, stays constant when cruising or coasting. That could just be due to engine noise increasing, though. Also remains constant whether in neutral or drive.

Will be taking it to tranny shop in the AM to have them take a look. I've never been able to accurately read the dipstick in a auto tranny....

Back