• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My front driver side seat needs replacing, swap with passenger side?

The Schwill

NAXJA Forum User
SSIA

2001 Cherokee Sport. Is it at all possible to switch the two seats while I am in the process of finding a replacement? It is getting worse and my back is KILLING ME!:cry:

SSIA

2001 Cherokee Sport. Is it at all possible to switch the two seats while I am in the process of finding a replacement? It is getting worse and my back is KILLING ME!:cry:
Is the bottom broken, or the back?

you should be able to just swap them, at least on my 1990 the seats were interchangeable and I swapped them some time ago because the driver side was getting a little soft. the only slightly annoying thing is that the adjustment levers will be opposite than what you are used to, but really, how often do you adjust the seat once you have it where you want it? I don't think I have touched mine in the last 2 years.

I switched the bottom of my 88 (driver's side) with the bottom from my parts jeep (passenger side) and it was a direct swap. The only problem I had was that the parts jeep had a lot of miles on it too, and so instead of tilting to the left, now I was tilting to the right. It evened out after a while though.

You can do a direct swap, although remember the recline level will be on the wrong side...but that shouldn't matter for temporary use.

Also the rear outer seat frame bolts will most "likely" break...be prepared to drill and replace with a grade 8 bolt and nut.

The seats are not identical on the later models, or at least not on my 97. The bases are offset by several inches. You might be able to make it work, but it's not a direct swap.

My 88 has power seats. As another poster said, I removed the cushion and backrest and swapped the 2 sides while I got the broken backrest bracket welded. The only problem was the backrest tilt on the wrong side.

Yes, actually any seat from after 91 or so.

Sometime around 91 they changed the structure of the floor and how the seat mounts.

Not saying you'd want to go back to an older style seat, but the same can be said for upgrading to a newer seat in an older XJ.

They are actually much different. If you are looking at a replacement, you want 95-01 XJ or 93-04 Grand Cherokee seats; an 84-94 XJ seat is completely different. On your Cherokee, like was mentioned above, I don't believe the bases will swap either since the bolt pattern would be offset the wrong way.

I got the new seat today.

I can't remove the bolt on the back left side of the seat. It is completely rusted over and stuck to the floor...

Any suggestions?

The outer rear bolts seem to always snap. Both of mine did on my 95, same on my friend's 96. Just snap it and drill another hole next to the snapped stud and use a grade 8 bolt through the floor. The hole in the seat bracket is slotted so you do not need to drill another hole in the seat bracket.

Back