• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 to 2000 engine swap coil packs or distributor.

klint96xj

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone. It's been a while since I've been here. I sold my xj a couple years ago and have missed it. So I recently acquired a 97 xj 4wd auto with 4.0. It has been rolled in bad weather, so I found a 2000 xj with 4.0 and 2wd (very clean but has a hole in the engine block) to convert to 4wd and fix.

So my question is this, should I keep the cool packs and swap them to the good engine? Or leave the distributor and add it to the 2000 body.

If I did change it to distributor, would the computer and harness from the 97 have to be swapped as well?

Also, if I do keep coil packs, would the computer and harness work right when it is converted to 4wd? Or would I have some dash lights turning on? Check engine, etc...

Thanks for the help guys. I've tried searching but I'm not having much luck with this particular thing.

Last edited:
you have to keep the coil packs. 97 Harnesses will not interchange to 2000 body electronics.

computer doesnt care if it's converted to 4x4, as long as you use a 2000 m.y. transmission. read over the "everything you wanted to know about the AW4" thread

you can put the regular type coils there is a tech article some where using mini van or a viper coil and the part number for the harness

Awesome, thanks digger, never heard of that thread before now. And also, is there a benefit to the viper coils? I've seen them mentioned in other posts but don't know the benefits... And do you know if the 2000 harness will have a plug for the transfer case? The 97 has dash lights to indicate full time or part time 4wd and I'm just wondering how that will swap over.

Also, one other concern is can I install the 97 exhaust without the extra emission stuff on it since the exhaust manifold apparently is different between those years? I've read that the head has smaller exhaust ports so I will need to keep the 97 manifold with the 97 engine...

Awesome, thanks digger, never heard of that thread before now. And also, is there a benefit to the viper coils? I've seen them mentioned in other posts but don't know the benefits... And do you know if the 2000 harness will have a plug for the transfer case? The 97 has dash lights to indicate full time or part time 4wd and I'm just wondering how that will swap over.

Also, one other concern is can I install the 97 exhaust without the extra emission stuff on it since the exhaust manifold apparently is different between those years? I've read that the head has smaller exhaust ports so I will need to keep the 97 manifold with the 97 engine...

viper coils are easier to package with an early head. Pre 2000 heads do not have the pads to mount the coil rail properly. So you either have to make something or zip tie it.

you need whatever manifold that goes with the computer. If its a CA emissions jeep with cats in the manifold and 4 o2 sensors you have to keep it.

honestly your best bet with this is to get a reman 0331 head, slap it on your 97 block and bolt it in just like it was a 2000 motor.
it will be the least amount of work, and still pretty budget friendly.

Someone here on NAXJA was making brackets to mount the coil rails to the pre '00 heads... a search may find the thread

Ok gotcha. So definitely couldn't move the electronics from the 97 over? What exactly won't match between the two making me unable to use the distributor? Sorry if I seem ignorant on it. Just trying to understand it better.

Ok gotcha. So definitely couldn't move the electronics from the 97 over? What exactly won't match between the two making me unable to use the distributor? Sorry if I seem ignorant on it. Just trying to understand it better.

because the 2000 PCM is programmed for individual coils.

97 PCM is programmed for one.

if you want to use the 97 PCM you'll have to bring all the 97 stuff with it.

if you have to pass emissions that's probably not gonna fly.

Back