• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Problems With Stub Axle

Black1990jeep

NAXJA Forum User
Hi. I have a modified jeep that has Warn manual lock hubs. I takes the 30 spline large UJoint (5-760x) stub axle. I have found the Yukon W38248 part to be the correct replacement as mine have a pitted needle bearing race. I ordered 2 from Motorsport supply, both arrived with dings on the bearing race. They then sent a second set, dropped shipped straight from Yukon. The second set was worse, dinged race on one, the other was used, red axle grease and sand on the splines, scuff marks and hammer blows from a Ujoint install and removal and rust on the race!
Does anyone have another source for this stub axle? Does anyone other than Yukon make them? I have heard these also fit CJ7 and Scout trucks.

4 ordered, all four have defects, the used one sent was over the top bad. Nicks on the bearing race is unacceptable.
It it too much to ask for clean ding free bearing race?
Comments, advice?

I don't believe any of those surfaces have "direct bearing contact" so it really doesn't matter!

There is a needle bearing pressed into the Warn manual hub conversion, this bearing rides on a raceway that is part of the stub axle. I am not sure how my XJ was originally equiped, but way it is set up now is simular to the SJ jeep as shown in my 1990 Factory Service Manual, page 2-26 figure 27 of the spindle bearing.

I understand that the CJ7 and Scout used a simular arrangement.

That surface doesn't take any load. The bearing is just there to cut down on friction/wear between the two surfaces as the shafts spins and is more of a guide than a bearing.

Its common practice in the offroad world to delete the bearing and replace it with a bushing. They last longer and the failure mode is better (if a bearing fails it can break the shaft, where a bushing just gets more play)

Back