• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Distributor install

ParadiseXJ

NAXJA Forum User
OK, so my dizzy was chirping and howling, figured I'd just replace it. It was not causing any running or driveability isssues, just the noise.

Here's what I did.

Removed old dist.
Rotated engine to TDC compression (with help from wife). Double checked TDC (you know, it's my wife).
Set rotor at 4 o'clock.
Set oil pump slot at 11 o'clock.
Slid dist in. It turned, engaged and seated, now the rotor is at about 5 o'clock. Put bolt and mounting hardware all back together. Done

Replaced cap (and I know the firing order is 1-5-3-6-2-4)and replaced wires.
Fired it up, and it roared to life.

The only diffference is that at idle and upon acceleration, first 1000 rpm's it's rough, not sputttering, just rough. After that it's fine.

What am I missing?? Is there an adjustment...and how could I be one tooth off if everything was put back the same way.
huh.gif

You're one tooth off on the distributor drive gear. You need to pop the distributor back out, spin the oil pump back just a bit, rotate the distributor back a bit, and reinstall it.

That's kinda what I did all afternoon, guess I need to move it one more o'clock to the right...tomorrrow is another day.

You need to account for the helical gears meshing up, start it off turned slightly counter clockwise and as you slide it in it will turn clockwise.

From what I remember anyways when I did mine.

I thought I had surely nailed it on the 4th try, and I did.

But I had switched the #2 and #4 plug wires. Runs like a champ now and no more noise from the dist.

:anon:

Back