• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clearing eng code

jeep ride

NAXJA Forum User
98 xj if I unhook the battery cable will this clear the codes from computer?

Yes and no, what are you trying to achieve? The ECU will start a new "readiness check".

It had two codes misfire in cyl 2 and 6 just trying to clear code from computer memory after I got it fixed.

That will do it if you got it fixed!

Be aware that the ECU takes 50+ miles before it fully resets. In the mean time it will just show "not ready" on any specific sensors.

That would be nice and easy.

I've had to google it every time as I can't remember. Something like, disconnect [both battery] cable, touch both cable ends [together for 30 seconds] (discharge capacitors or something), reconnect, turn ignition on but don't start, lights on, lights off, ignition off, done. Or is that just some internet joke for newbies. I'll check the FSM later.

Edit: FSM says to use the OBD diagnostic tool to clear error codes and I couldn't find a general reset procedure.

Here is link to jeep forum with procedure I referenced above [as edited]. Some there say that disconnecting for 30 minutes or so will do it. But I seem to recall that with my son's 97, disconnecting alone did not clear the code. I've used above procedure with my 98.

Further edit: Procedure above supposedly resets PCM to factory original settings.

Last edited:
Use your OBD-II Trouble Code reader to re-set trouble codes. No need to drive anywhere. Re-booting the ECU as described also will delete codes.

Back