• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weird burning smell when shutting off

Fred85

NAXJA Forum User
It's a distinct smell, i've never smelled anything like it coming from a car before. I've had the jeep for about a month now, and i've noticed this smell like 3 times. It's always on short trips of anywhere from 10-20 minutes and i notice it only when i get out of the vehicle, never inside. I searched a bunch and couldn't really find anything except stuff about a clogged cat and the exhaust pushed up against the body and heating up the carpet, neither of which i think is occuring.

2001 57k miles, 4.0 AW4
Any ideas?

Last edited:
nope nothing up the exhaust, i checked for the rear main seal leak when i got the jeep and i didn't see anything but i'll check it again

on that old of a jeep you mind as well just get that cat cut out "its not going to hurt anything" when they get that old they do plug up; your o2 sensor is well before the cat so spend the 30.00 bucks and get pipe put in.

you don't say what part of the vehicle it's eminating (sp?) from

'01 2DR stock and stayin' that way

Last edited:
i really don't know where it's coming from, it seems to come from everywhere

i've decided not to really worry about it until it actually becomes a problem

Could be a power steering pump/hose leak. I had a similar problem with my BMW. No stains or anything underneath because it would only leak under pressure and drip onto the exhaust pipe then burn off. Took a while to figure it out!

firehazzard said:
on that old of a jeep you mind as well just get that cat cut out "its not going to hurt anything" when they get that old they do plug up; your o2 sensor is well before the cat so spend the 30.00 bucks and get pipe put in.

WTF are you talking about?

It's a 2001 w/ 57K and it is never a good idea to just lose that cat.

firehazzard said:
Are you kidding?! A 4 year old Jeep with 57k is "that old"? I have made a conscious decision in my internet wanderings not to flame anybody 'cause it usually comes back to bite me, BUT, either you are just trying to get a rise out of somebody (I guess you just did), or you are a total idiot. The guy asked a question about a burning smell and you tell him to cut out his cat. With 57 k, his cat is still under warranty, regardless of age. I just had one replaced under warranty on a 90 SJ. His symptom doesn't sound like a cat at all.

Back to the question, It could be a transmission line leak finding its way to the exhaust pipe. That has a "burnt smell" that is different from a burnt oil smell. Check your trans lines to and from your radiator. If it is leaking up front that stuff will spread everywhere. I had that problem and it did have a strange burnt smell.

Can you upload an olfactory file so we can all have a sniff?

I've been having a similar problem with my 2003 Astro AWD, I smell burning smells like burning plastic or like a burning vacuum cleaner. I took it to the dealer and the t-case fluid was low but the smell remains. I dunno check your t-case fluid?

Check your serpentine belt to make sure it isn't loose, sliping, and getting hot.

Do a good visual down around the exhaust header to make sure no wires are getting close. On the early models, the CPS cable could hit and melt. The only place that gets hot enough to melt something to smell like burning rubber is the exhaust, so follow it from the front to the rear. Look for stains on the top and front from burning off oil.

i could definately smell it a little better when i stuck my head underneath, which makes me wanna agree with you about the cat

i'll check the tranny lines also

Back