• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP242 and Speedo Gear

PolishX

NAXJA Forum User
Ok , I have the list for gear teeth on a NP231 .. BUT I have a 242 in my 98 XJ that I am lifting monday , wondering if anyone knows what part number or whatever I need for the right size gear so my speedo is right ... going from stock to 4.5" Rubicon lift and 33's

I am not certain but I think if you talk to the dealership they can help you out.
whomever your getting the part from should be able to help you out either way.

PolishX said:
Ok , I have the list for gear teeth on a NP231 .. BUT I have a 242 in my 98 XJ that I am lifting monday , wondering if anyone knows what part number or whatever I need for the right size gear so my speedo is right ... going from stock to 4.5" Rubicon lift and 33's

Here ya go. Speedo gear part numbers cross-referenced by axle ratio and tyre size.

PolishX said:
but is it the same for 231 and 242

I believe so. That's the chart that I used when I went to 31" tyres, and I've got a 242. No fitment issues at all, and the speedo was pretty much balls-on accurate after that.

I did my 2000 242. The dealer kept giving me the wrong one of their charts. My gears were not on it. I have 4.88s and 33s (metric, not tru 33s) and my speedo is low a bit. I have a 41 tooth just like the chart says. You won't have any problems with whatever tires and gears you have using that chart.

I just hope the rocket secientist at the parts desk knows what to order when i give him the number .. crappy thing is when i regear to 4:56 I need to swap it out again

PolishX said:
I just hope the rocket secientist at the parts desk knows what to order when i give him the number .. crappy thing is when i regear to 4:56 I need to swap it out again

*Shrug* then go straight to 4.56 gears, or eat the $20 the gear costs. Quite frankly, I look at $20 as being cheaper than a speeding ticket...

For clarification:
231 and 242 speedo gears are the same.

Anyone ever have a parts guy at three separate dealerships tell you that since no cherokee ever came with 4.56 gears, there is no gear for my 32s on 4.56s?

twisted_ed said:
Anyone ever have a parts guy at three separate dealerships tell you that since no cherokee ever came with 4.56 gears, there is no gear for my 32s on 4.56s?
Just take him the part # and tell him to order it.

Friggn' part monkeys!
:wow:

They are now saying it aint available

Back