• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix Alternator Upgrade Questions. I have searched!

zeroforhire

NAXJA Forum User
I know there are a ton of threads regarding this topic, but I did not see too many regarding the renix setup. I just have a few questions...

I went here and saw what alternators are compatible with my jeep, but does this mean direct bolt in?

http://www.jpfrog.org/modules.php?o...&POSTNUKESID=97610bc73beabb03cfa48f127a1257c0

I have also heard of people getting alternators from the junkyard and replacing the brushes themselves... is this very hard to do? Does anyone have any information on how to replace the brushes? I have a FSM, but cannot seem to find much about this topic.

I know my renix uses a Delco CS-130, but when I go to autozone and check out their alternators for the compatible cars, I am noticing that I am not finding anything much over 100 amps. I am looking for the most bang for the buck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks for all that info. I have read most of those...

as far as my specs:

1990 Cherokee
4.0 Auto
Not sure of diff/transfer case... it is a stock XJ

I think I will just get the 100 amp they sell at autozone... I was hoping to be able to find something in the 130 range that would not need too much fabrication to make it fit.

thanks for all that info. I have read most of those...

as far as my specs:

1990 Cherokee
4.0 Auto
Not sure of diff/transfer case... it is a stock XJ

I think I will just get the 100 amp they sell at autozone... I was hoping to be able to find something in the 130 range that would not need too much fabrication to make it fit.

I think the CS-144 can be had as a direct fit on the XJ--call the vendor, they will tell you.

The CS144 is a larger frame size (144m/m vice 130m/m,) and may require some small mods to fit the bracketry. Either that, or find one with the mounting tabs in the right place - I don't know. Yet.

Check your phone book - you should be able to find a shop that will do rewinds for you, and you'll pay about a buck an amp. If you can't find one, you can always check out the shop I use - www.kelleyswip.com/sjg.html. Rod will fix you up right, I've been using him for a good dozen years and talked him into doing mail-order a few years ago (I don't get anything out of the deal - you deal with him direction. All I get is the satisfaction of helping another small business and a damned decent guy.)

I'll have to work on a list of potential donors for the Delco upgrades, like I did for the ND.

The 100A replacement from napa, csk, or carquest should do the trick.

Thanks everyone... I ended up getting a 100 amp replacement from autozone.

Now if I could find a decent write up... I am quite hopeless when if comes to working on cars. It looks easy enough.

just installed a cs-144 in my renix, besides one of the bolt holes needing to be slightly enlarged to fit my up top mounting, it was bolt in.

Years ago I bought a rewound one (CS-130) off E-bay for around $100. It was said to make 180A. I actually did test it on the Jeep with a tester and it was putting out about 180A cold, not bad. I also upgraded the wiring (2ga and big fuse setup).

Won't fit if you have front tow hooks.
The back bolt that goes through the uniframe won't clear the alternator body (rubs on my CS130, but I need new motor mounts).

Nick

just installed a cs-144 in my renix, besides one of the bolt holes needing to be slightly enlarged to fit my up top mounting, it was bolt in.

Rockauto has a cs-130 (I think) 200a for like 100$-ish, last time I checked anyways. If you do anything above 100a, you probably should upgrade your wires and install an inline fuse.

Won't fit if you have front tow hooks.
The back bolt that goes through the uniframe won't clear the alternator body (rubs on my CS130, but I need new motor mounts).

Nick

Is that with the factory hooks with the factory recessed nut on the right side?

I have Rugged Ridge hooks-there is no way to recess the the nut on any setup-to clear, it would have to be flush with the inside surface of the rail.

Nick

I have Rugged Ridge hooks-there is no way to recess the the nut on any setup-to clear, it would have to be flush with the inside surface of the rail.

Nick

Here's what the factory tow hook bolt/recessed nut looks like on the passengerside inboard frame rail on my Jeep below. Just in case you haven't seen one before.

main.php

Back