• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1999 Drivetrain in a 2001, What am I Missing?

Destroyer

NAXJA Forum User
Hey ya'll, been a while since I was on the forum. Long story short an illegal totalled my 99 that I'd had for 16 years. Picked up a clean 2001 4.0 AW4 2wd with no motor to swap my drivetrain into. Donor carcass is a 99 4.0 AW4 231 w/ 120k. I have the 99 drivetrain pulled and cleaned up, ready to go in this weekend.

Been searching for the last few days but wanted to touch on the main points and make sure I'm not missing anything before I get started.

I'm in an emissions county so obviously running the 2001 PCM/harness/Cali exhaust.

Harness wise: Have complete 2001 engine harness, coil rail, cam sensor to swap onto my motor. 2wd harness though so lacking tcase sensor for now. Anything else missing there? Any TCU issues to be aware of between the 01 harness and 99 trans? Will my 1-2 manual override switch still be possible?

Exhaust: Have a banks header for the 2001 Cali setup so should have exhaust port mismatch covered.

4WD conversion: Already swapped tcase shifter and light harness into the 01. Front axle from the 99 is trashed so staying with the beam axle for a while. Have correct driveshafts from the 99 still so I'm good there.

Anything else I'm missing please let me know. Been trying to get everything ready and get parts ordered so I can get back on the road so may have forgot/overlooked something.

Thanks!

Hey ya'll, been a while since I was on the forum. Long story short an illegal totalled my 99 that I'd had for 16 years. Picked up a clean 2001 4.0 AW4 2wd with no motor to swap my drivetrain into. Donor carcass is a 99 4.0 AW4 231 w/ 120k. I have the 99 drivetrain pulled and cleaned up, ready to go in this weekend.

Been searching for the last few days but wanted to touch on the main points and make sure I'm not missing anything before I get started.

I'm in an emissions county so obviously running the 2001 PCM/harness/Cali exhaust.

Correct, you'll just need to make a bracket to hold the coil rail.

Harness wise: Have complete 2001 engine harness, coil rail, cam sensor to swap onto my motor. 2wd harness though so lacking tcase sensor for now. Anything else missing there? Any TCU issues to be aware of between the 01 harness and 99 trans? Will my 1-2 manual override switch still be possible?

You'll be fine and a 1-2 manual override is totally possible, the 99-01 have the same TCU. Also IIRC the 2wd harness has the plug for the T-case.

Exhaust: Have a banks header for the 2001 Cali setup so should have exhaust port mismatch covered.

4WD conversion: Already swapped tcase shifter and light harness into the 01. Front axle from the 99 is trashed so staying with the beam axle for a while. Have correct driveshafts from the 99 still so I'm good there.

Anything else I'm missing please let me know. Been trying to get everything ready and get parts ordered so I can get back on the road so may have forgot/overlooked something.

Sounds like you have all of your bases covered

Thanks!
My notes are in red

the exhaust ports for the 2000/2001 are different from the 99. you will want the head from the 2001, or even better a tupy head, there is a solution out there for a flange to make it work, don;t know if it will be emissions correct though. also the cam may be different, i have done some research on the same thing, comp cams has a different grind for the 2000/2001 cams to compensate for the changed head flow, not sure if the factory will be different between your 2 engines, or if the computer will throw a code or even know there is a different cam. also you may have some connector issues on some things, for example the ac compressor from 99- 2000 was changed. i dont think there were any changes in the transmissions or transfer cases from 98-01.

The difference between a early cam and the late is the late cam is held in with a retaining plate. I'm running a 98 cam in my 2000 but with no retainer.

the exhaust ports for the 2000/2001 are different from the 99. you will want the head from the 2001, or even better a tupy head, there is a solution out there for a flange to make it work, don;t know if it will be emissions correct though. also the cam may be different, i have done some research on the same thing, comp cams has a different grind for the 2000/2001 cams to compensate for the changed head flow, not sure if the factory will be different between your 2 engines, or if the computer will throw a code or even know there is a different cam. also you may have some connector issues on some things, for example the ac compressor from 99- 2000 was changed. i dont think there were any changes in the transmissions or transfer cases from 98-01.

Having run a 99 engine in an 01 and having it pass CA smog, I can tell you that you're wrong.

Having run a 99 engine in an 01 and having it pass CA smog, I can tell you that you're wrong.

Yes, he is very wrong.
My 2001, with a 4.6 stroker, aftermarket cam and a ported 7120 head, passes California's smog test.
A 99 engine, in a 2001 should work fine, once brackets are made to accommodate the coil rail.
The 2001 has much more complicated emission system, with the dual mini-cats and four O2 sensors.
I suggest bolting the intake and exhaust manifolds to the engine, with it on a stand, the Bank's header bolts are just about impossible to get to when the engine is installed.
The cam synchronizer is the hardest thing for me to set, not having a Factory scanner capable of doing so. I use a plastic tool that Dorman supplies with replacement cam synchronizers, to set it in the right position. Looks like this:
http://oi65.tinypic.com/awx0m9.jpg
Drop the synchronizer in when the engine is at DTC, on cylinder 1
The synchronizer must be right on the money to run right, off a little bit and it will throw all sorts of misfire codes and run poorly or not at all.
Not sure if the TPS and IAC are the same between the two engines, you might want to move them from the 2001 engine to the 99, or just transplant the entire throttle body and/or complete intake manifold.

Use a scanner to check that the ECM's internal checks all pass before attempting a smog test.
Hope the mini-cats are still good, I had one die at 130,000 miles, a few months ago, and they are expensive and a pain to change in situ.
The O2 sensors starting going bad about 10,000 miles earlier, another expense buying four new NTK sensors.
With the engine out, it's good time to change the CPS, get a Mopar sensor, if still available.

Yes, he is very wrong.
My 2001, with a 4.6 stroker, aftermarket cam and a ported 7120 head, passes California's smog test.
A 99 engine, in a 2001 should work fine, once brackets are made to accommodate the coil rail.
The 2001 has much more complicated emission system, with the dual mini-cats and four O2 sensors.
I suggest bolting the intake and exhaust manifolds to the engine, with it on a stand, the Bank's header bolts are just about impossible to get to when the engine is installed.
The cam synchronizer is the hardest thing for me to set, not having a Factory scanner capable of doing so. I use a plastic tool that Dorman supplies with replacement cam synchronizers, to set it in the right position. Looks like this:
The synchronizer must be right on the money to run right, off a little bit and it will throw all sorts of misfire codes and run poorly or not at all.
Not sure if the TPS and IAC are the same between the two engines, you might want to move them from the 2001 engine to the 99, or just transplant the entire throttle body and/or complete intake manifold.

Use a scanner to check that the ECM's internal checks all pass before attempting a smog test.
Hope the mini-cats are still good, I had one die at 130,000 miles, a few months ago, and they are expensive and a pain to change in situ.
The O2 sensors starting going bad about 10,000 miles earlier, another expense buying four new NTK sensors.
With the engine out, it's good time to change the CPS, get a Mopar sensor, if still available.

The TPS, IAC and AIT sensors are all the same from 97-01. Also if you ever had to do it again, I have the factory scan tool. But I did the toothpick method to set the cam position sensor when I did the motor in the 01.

The TPS, IAC and AIT sensors are all the same from 97-01. Also if you ever had to do it again, I have the factory scan tool. But I did the toothpick method to set the cam position sensor when I did the motor in the 01.

Good to know about the sensors being the same. I can use the same spares in both my 1997 and 2001 Xjs.
The toothpick method for setting the cam synchronizer works if you have a stock synchronizer.
None of the aftermarket synchronizers I've seen have the 'toothpick' hole in the synchronizer's rotor, the reason why the replacements come with the plastic setting tool.
I had to use an aftermarket synchronizer, the gear on my 01's stock synchronizer was badly worn and needed replacement when the stroker was installed and I couldn't find a new, Mopar synchronizer.
May take you up on the offer to set the synchronizer with a scan tool someday, it is a very sensitive adjustment on the 2000-2001s, just being off a little of can cause an assortment of codes and drivability issues.

Good to know about the sensors being the same. I can use the same spares in both my 1997 and 2001 Xjs.
The toothpick method for setting the cam synchronizer works if you have a stock synchronizer.
None of the aftermarket synchronizers I've seen have the 'toothpick' hole in the synchronizer's rotor, the reason why the replacements come with the plastic setting tool.
I had to use an aftermarket synchronizer, the gear on my 01's stock synchronizer was badly worn and needed replacement when the stroker was installed and I couldn't find a new, Mopar synchronizer.
May take you up on the offer to set the synchronizer with a scan tool someday, it is a very sensitive adjustment on the 2000-2001s, just being off a little of can cause an assortment of codes and drivability issues.

Yup, the synchronizer has a margin of error of somewhere around 7* or so. Also the base idle airflow of the throttle body can cause drive-ability issues as well.

i dont understand what i am very wrong about, having a vehicle pass a smog test, and be emissions correct are not the same thing. the 2000 engine head was redesigned to restrict exhaust flow to make the combustion chamber hotter to help reduce emissions. installing an older engine that does not meet or exceed that model years emissions standards is not correct, and the pre 2000 engine head does not meet that, whether it passes a smog test or not. maybe the inspectors arent catching it, i dont know i live far from cali, maybe i am misinterpreting the law, but i dont think so. you guys seem to have had luck, i hope he does in GA, but i dont think it will last forever, sooner or later someone will catch it.

op states he has a 2001 exhaust manifold that he is trying to put on a 99 engine, as far as i know, the 2000,2001 exhaust manifold does not mate up to the 99 exhaust manifold ports,

i dont understand what i am very wrong about, having a vehicle pass a smog test, and be emissions correct are not the same thing. the 2000 engine head was redesigned to restrict exhaust flow to make the combustion chamber hotter to help reduce emissions. installing an older engine that does not meet or exceed that model years emissions standards is not correct, and the pre 2000 engine head does not meet that, whether it passes a smog test or not. maybe the inspectors arent catching it, i dont know i live far from cali, maybe i am misinterpreting the law, but i dont think so. you guys seem to have had luck, i hope he does in GA, but i dont think it will last forever, sooner or later someone will catch it.

op states he has a 2001 exhaust manifold that he is trying to put on a 99 engine, as far as i know, the 2000,2001 exhaust manifold does not mate up to the 99 exhaust manifold ports,

The computer doesn't know what year the head is, it just complies using what it see's. The OP stated he has a Banks header, which regardless of the year the flange will fit.

Thanks guys, sounds like I'm on the right track and not missing anything major!

I have a 0331 non TUPY head that came with the 01 but its pretty rough and still a poor design. If it was a TUPY I'd consider it but I'm going to stick with my 0630 for now. I'd read about doing the adapter flange, but that seems like a poor solution both performance and longevity wise. A guy I used to work with gave me a Banks header that was cracked in 6 different places that was off of his TJ that also had the mini cats, which has larger openings in the mounting flange that will cover the exhaust ports on the 0630 from what I've read. A little bit of cleaning and tig work later it will atleast get me up and running, and I can always swap to one that hasn't been band-aided down the road. Gotta work with what I got for now since this is all out of pocket.

Yes, he is very wrong.

No problem making coil brackets, and thanks for the advice on the synchronizer. I've done a few on WJ's and a YJ that had been swapped, they haven't been too bad to deal with. Hopefully the cats and O2's are good, no guarantees though.

Our emissions test consist of visually verifying there are cats in place, readiness monitors set and no OBD codes/CEL. They also verify VIN on ECU to vehicle year model.

Uploaded a couple pics just because.

99 before:
in9vrp.jpg

After:
2vska46.jpg

Replacement 2001:
dbqg6v.jpg

Solid hit:
9usqkg.jpg

The heart of the 99 will live on:
21e8feo.jpg

Where does my 2000 stroker with a 0331 ported/polished/big valve head fit in???
It also has a reprogrammed ECU, a 9.4CR, 64mm throttle body, and larger injectors.
It will pass emission in all 50 states.
P1080516_zpsybaiiwn0.jpg

P1080514_zpslz6n2eoi.jpg

Back