• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Intermitent starting again...

jmeti000

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 87' renix thats a manual, and its havin a starting issue. It starts up fine cold every day...but after its been run for bit, it just cranks and cranks and wont actually start. If i let it sit for a while (5 to 10 mins) its will start up like nothin ever happened. Sometimes when its having its issue, it also sounds like the starter is actually engaging twice before it starts cranking (or not syncronizing right?), and sometimes it cranks normal, and just wont start. Only once has the starter not engaged at all, but on the next try, it engaged like normal.

I have dont the cold water test on the CPS, and suppisingly, it started right up after the water was poured on it. which leads me to suspect the CPS is suffering from thermal failure....however, the starter not engaging that one time, and the number of times it sounds like its just not quite meshing right for the first split second makes me wonder if that might not be part of the issue too.

Will the CPS cause all of these symptoms? or is it possible my starter/seleniod is going out in addition?

I have checked the fuel and am getting plenty of pressure, and once its running it runs perfect..its just a starting issue.

Thanks in advance,
jmeti000

One thing i forgot to mention...the cranking speed noticably changes. Sometimes it cranks normal, and others it cranks alot faster. Dont know what really causes this either, if it would be the CPS or the starter/seleniod. Either way, it seems to have no effect on wether it starts or not. Its something i just noticed, and I have checked all the grounds too.

Thanks again

Replace the CPS/CKP.

Charge your battery overnight, and then take it in for a load test.

While you have the battery disconnected and charging, remove the negative and positive battery cables from the vehicle. Clean both ends of each cable, and then measure their resistance--should be near ZERO.

Ok, your battery passed the load test or you have a replacement that is fully charged, your cables are cleaned and good or you have new cables--now, how does it sound when it is cranking?

clean all grounds and replace the cps like joe peters said. grounds firewall to engine, engine to battery, add additional battery ground from battery to body as well. also make sure you are getting fuel and spark. make sure youre battery is alright( i second joe peters) . it sounds like either the cps is bad, or the grounds are crappy, or both.

Back