• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How far can I drop AX15 to get TC off without damaging anything?

Thetastycat

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all - need to rebuild my np231 on my 95 XJ. There's an excellent youtube from BleepinJeep on how to pull an np231, but it's from an xj in a junkyard, so he just drops the tranny/tc as far as it will fall, which makes it hella easier to work on, but no doubt the motor mounts/radiator/lots of stuff got wrecked in the process.

I plan to put jack stands under the tranny crossmember and lower it a few inches since I need to get to bolts on the top of the tranny/tc, but I'm more than a little paranoid to be moving so much of the drivetrain like that - how much play do I have there? Definitely can't get the TC off without being able to access the bolts on the top and also don't want to damage anything.

Thanks all!

Iv dropped mine almost to the floor. I only unhooked the cooler lines on the passenger side and the shifter piece drivers side.
Be aware, Not all jeeps will have the same harness as they are all a little different.
yours may be shorter. go slow. check for wires getting tight.

Hmm - if you don't drop it down at all, how can you access the bolts on the top side? Is it really possible without lowering it at all??

With a starter wrench you can get to the top nuts.

Ok this is the first time I've ever heard of a starter wrench but I think you just saved me some serious effort here...

These are starter wrenches....
urrea-box-wrenches-1700a-64_1000.jpg

so - I re-read this.
You do not drop the transmission to remove the transfer case.

True. I'm pretty sure he's talking about unbolting the crossmember, lowering the jack under the transmission and letting the engine tip backwards. This give more room to access the xfer case bolts.

Having done it a few times on AX-15's and NV3350's I've dropped the back end as far as I needed to to access it with a normal wrench and didn't have any issues. At no time did I leave it unsupported- always had a jack (with a 2x4 on it) on the bottom of the trans so I wasn't straining the mounts too much.

I don't think i even loosened up the motor mounts.

Ive done both- U can do it using starter wrench. or unbolting the 4 cross memeber bolts and lowing the cross member.
U don't really have to drop the transmission far at all.
Dealers choice.

Thanks, all - I really appreciate all this good advice. Dropped her an inch or two tonight but forgot to disconnect the TC shift lever linkage and it pulled out the side of the tranny so I gotta deal with that.....also my crap floor jack died so the tranny's resting on a jack stand until tomorrow when I get another jack. Oh well, once I get it raised back up to regular height and figure out how to get the linkage out I should be in good shape!!

Back