• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HAM Amateur radio license

Never choose a vanity call sign with a girl's name in it. I was KZ4DNA, but Donna is no longer in the picture. I just got my new vanity call sign K9MOJ for my dog Mojo, because your dog will never let you down. ;)

While I have an awesome wife, I'll have to agree with you when it comes to most broads. And you're right about the dog, too.

I wish I could find someone local to tutor me for my license. I have talked to a couple of local HAMs and as soon as they ask what radio I bought, and I tell them its a Baofang they just make fun of the radio, tell me I should have bought something else, and don't want to tutor me. If I could have found someone to help me before I bought my radio, I would have bought something else!

I guess HAM guys are not like Jeep guys.

You simply have run into the JKU Jeep guys of the ham world.

Keep looking and you will find helpful folks. They are out there.

Find out if there are ever any local ham radio swap meets in your area. Also, field day is coming up this weekend. See if you can find out if there are going to be any local groups setting up. Your odds will be better in those situations.

At the very least I would expect you have some local repeater associations. Find out if any of these, or others like them, have folks who will help you: https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Roanoke+repeater+association

The Baofeng radios are like the white zinfandel of the wine world. The snobs are going to turn their noses up at it, but there are still plenty who have enough perspective to see that this is the entry for many who would otherwise never discover this particular field. Keep looking.

On the Baofeng radios- do they push signal? Do they receive signal? Then use them.

I am a HAM, have been for going on 20 years. I'm not terribly active, but I still keep it current.

On the Baofeng radios- do they push signal? Do they receive signal? Then use them.

I am a HAM, have been for going on 20 years. I'm not terribly active, but I still keep it current.

Do you mean tones? If so, yes. They will do both CTCSS (aka PL) as well as DCS tones.

Do you mean tones? If so, yes. They will do both CTCSS (aka PL) as well as DCS tones.

I mean signal. Can you use the thing to communicate with people at distance.

It was more or less a rhetorical question. I'd expect it to at least do that.

Well yes they transmit and receive radio frequency. I've never had an issue using them but keep in mind you are talking about a four watt radio so some limitations will apply. I have gotten a clean 70ish miles with straight line of sight (from my house to a mountaintop repeater). They are known to be a little bit dirty, meaning there is some bleedover on transmitting to very nearby frequencies (spurious emission).

There is a segment of the ham radio world that takes offense to the Baofengs. Some of the offense is rational and some of it is emotional. Keep in mind that many of these older hams come from an era when they had to build their equipment from scratch (which means they had to fully understand all the inner workings) and they have watched and participated as the hobby has developed and been supported by the R&D work of such companies as Kenwood, Yaesu, Icom etc. These guys understand what goes into developing and building a radio and are comfortable with the idea that a handy-talkie could cost $400 or more. To suddenly have some chi-com built radio show up that costs less than $30 is taken as a personal affront. Somehow. And it bothers them that others are not offended by the situation, and even worse that others will actually support the situation by buying these radios. I would say that the most valid concern is that the sale of Baofeng radios will undercut those companies which work to develop the hobby and eventually run them out of business, thus putting an end to effective development programs.

I think there is another side to this picture however. I see the Baofeng as a gateway drug to get people properly hooked. It is like the pusher's first freebies. Once someone gets into the hobby and becomes aware of the better equipment they are much more likely to want to upgrade. Once that happens the companies that matter to the hobby are more likely to get a customer that they would not have otherwise gotten. Baofeng is making the hobby approachable for a segment of society that would not be nearly so willing to ante up the cash to initially required, but once introduced is more likely to perceive the value and open their wallet a bit wider.

But I can see why some folks have a problem. I just think they are being short-sighted.

There is a segment of the ham radio world that takes offense to the Baofengs. Some of the offense is rational and some of it is emotional. Keep in mind that many of these older hams come from an era when they had to build their equipment from scratch (which means they had to fully understand all the inner workings) and they have watched and participated as the hobby has developed and been supported by the R&D work of such companies as Kenwood, Yaesu, Icom etc. These guys understand what goes into developing and building a radio and are comfortable with the idea that a handy-talkie could cost $400 or more. To suddenly have some chi-com built radio show up that costs less than $30 is taken as a personal affront. Somehow. And it bothers them that others are not offended by the situation, and even worse that others will actually support the situation by buying these radios. I would say that the most valid concern is that the sale of Baofeng radios will undercut those companies which work to develop the hobby and eventually run them out of business, thus putting an end to effective development programs.

I think there is another side to this picture however. I see the Baofeng as a gateway drug to get people properly hooked. It is like the pusher's first freebies. Once someone gets into the hobby and becomes aware of the better equipment they are much more likely to want to upgrade. Once that happens the companies that matter to the hobby are more likely to get a customer that they would not have otherwise gotten. Baofeng is making the hobby approachable for a segment of society that would not be nearly so willing to ante up the cash to initially required, but once introduced is more likely to perceive the value and open their wallet a bit wider.

But I can see why some folks have a problem. I just think they are being short-sighted.

Those are the same old bastards clogging up 40m and 80m talking about their prostrates and how literally everything developed in the last 40 years is killing whatever it is.

I agree with all of this! I did buy the Baofeng to get me started with every intention of upgrading. I grew up around HAM. My uncle that raised me was W4NXZ. He had to get his license by building his radio back in the 40's. We would sit for hours and he would talk to folks all over the world with radios with tubes in them and slinky antennas strung all over his roof!. His car had a 2meter in it.

I see the value in HAM, especially on the trail in remote areas.

I understand electricity, radio etiquette and protocol, etc. I just can't figure this radio out so that I can spark my interest! If I could listen to others, I might get more motivated myself.

I joined HamTestOnline 6 months ago but quickly lost interest in the study.

I shouldn't have found this thread.. now I'm looking at getting my commo back up, and getting a proper mobile rig.

Also, since you guys have given out your calls, here's mine- KG4PYC.

More Naxja members should get there ham licenses. The study guides are good but I think the practice test are very useful. Check for local Nets and that's a great way to listen and understand how it all works. KK6ONF

What price range and what features?

I am very happy with my Kenwood TM-V71A and Diamond NR770HAB.

This is a dual-band setup. 2M & 70cm. I think the TM-V71A was about $400 and the antenna about $60.

The detachable front off the Kenwood mounts nicely in the little tray in the front of my console ('96). The radio itself is under the seat. I have the antenna mounted to a brace for the rub rail on my quarter armor.

More Naxja members should get there ham licenses. The study guides are good but I think the practice test are very useful. Check for local Nets and that's a great way to listen and understand how it all works. KK6ONF

I'm all for the practice tests. It's what I used and waht I recommend.

At the end of the day for what we do you only need to know three things. Frequency (the "channel"), Offset (only applies to repeaters, sometimes you're actually transmitting/talking and receiving/listening on different frequencies, this is the offset.), and Tone (a sound that the human ear cannot hear. Used to filter out real transmissions from fake, most repeaters use this so you cannot talk on the repeater unless you transmit this tone).

Everything else in the test, while useful, isn't a primary skill necessary like the three above.

What price range and what features?

I am very happy with my Kenwood TM-V71A and Diamond NR770HAB.

This is a dual-band setup. 2M & 70cm. I think the TM-V71A was about $400 and the antenna about $60.

The detachable front off the Kenwood mounts nicely in the little tray in the front of my console ('96). The radio itself is under the seat. I have the antenna mounted to a brace for the rub rail on my quarter armor.

I don't have that much to spend, maybe 300 max

Then I would look at either the Kenwood TM-281A or the Yaesu FT-2900R. Those are 2M only, and most of the features are buried in menus (personal pet peeve), but they are solid radios.

Agreed on getting a basic Kenwood or Yaesu 2m rig for your first one. Maybe see if you have a local Ham club, lots of guys have old radios sitting around they'd sell cheap and help you tune your antenna. Also good to check in there and find out if there is activity on the 70cm band in your area. If you decide to get more involved in the hobby and want dual band, cross band repeat, APRS etc... you'll find a use for that basic 2m rig as a home base station, 2nd radio, 2nd vehicle, go box etc. Save money for good coax and a good antenna. Nothing wrong with a Yaesu 1900.

The cheap chinese HT's work well, hold up fine for the price, and have their place, but I'd get a quality basic name brand mobile unit first.

Agreed on getting a basic Kenwood or Yaesu 2m rig for your first one. Maybe see if you have a local Ham club, lots of guys have old radios sitting around they'd sell cheap and help you tune your antenna. Also good to check in there and find out if there is activity on the 70cm band in your area. If you decide to get more involved in the hobby and want dual band, cross band repeat, APRS etc... you'll find a use for that basic 2m rig as a home base station, 2nd radio, 2nd vehicle, go box etc. Save money for good coax and a good antenna. Nothing wrong with a Yaesu 1900.

The cheap chinese HT's work well, hold up fine for the price, and have their place, but I'd get a quality basic name brand mobile unit first.

We do have a local club, they have a repeater that is free to use w/o being a member. Some of those local members also have their own repeaters.

The problem I'm having is finding someone in that club that wants to mentor me. My boss is also a HAM but he doesn't have time right now.

Its frustrating.

Back