• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Correct valve spring with new cam

Stevenson

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the process of building an engine for my 91. The Jeep currently has a 4.0 paired with an AX-15. The new engine will be mostly simple, but I have a question on my cam choice, and making sure I have the correct spring.

Block:
96 53020569 NVH

Head:

New Cam:
https://www.cleggengine.com/jeep-4-0l-stage-1-performance-camshaft-kit-by-cleggs-ce-j4-cam1.html
  • Duration 263 Intake | 267 Exhaust
  • Duration @ 0.050 Valve Lift 209 Intake | 213 Exhaust
  • Valve Lift 0.443 Intake | 0.443 Exhaust
  • Lobe Seperation Angle 114 Degrees

I was originally gonna go with a Comp cam, but it was going to be backordered for a long time, and I need to get this engine in pretty soon. Pistons will be .030 over, but thats the only other change from stock.

So I am a little confused on spring selection then. Clegg's site says that it is safe to use with stock valve springs, but from googling I see people saying that stock springs wouldn't work because the max out at .43 lift, or that they're good to .450.

The Mopar P5249464 springs also get brought up, and seem to be the choice if I need a better spring. Along with new retainers and locks

Would I be fine with a stock spring, such as the ENGINETECH ERV1378, or will I need to go for the P5249464

For all that type of info I would talk to no one but Russ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I went with Russ on my stroker. We did talk about valve springs, cam selection ect. My stroker is using one of his Chevy valve upgrade and ported.
I was going to use a '95 head, I had done Chevy valves and stock springs. He recommended the Sealed Power ones. They are (according to Russ) a bit thinner in cross section. So, they would not bind with a slightly higher lift cam. Mines a Comp Cam with 268 duration etc.
I am working on another head from a '99. It will have the Sealed Power springs and Chevy SS valves. I am using some Elgin SS valves. I found some Manley Spring retainers that match the Sealed Power springs. I have that head out at a shop to be cleaned, magfluxed and rough in the valves. Also bronze bushings.

I'd also ask Russ about his camshaft tension bolt. Although mines a 2000 4.0L with the thrust plate for the camshaft, I think Russ sold me a pre '98 camshaft as I wanted a double roller timing chain. So, I needed a way to keep the camshaft from walking forward. The threads on mine matched the finer threads on the Compcam camshaft.

Edit: Hastings Valves to Elgin Valves.

Last edited:
I went with Russ on my stroker. We did talk about valve springs, cam selection ect. My stroker is using one of his Chevy valve upgrade and ported.
I was going to use a '95 head, I had done Chevy valves and stock springs. He recommended the Sealed Power ones. They are (according to Russ) a bit thinner in cross section. So, they would not bind with a slightly higher lift cam. Mines a Comp Cam with 268 duration etc.
I am working on another head from a '99. It will have the Sealed Power springs and Chevy SS valves. I am using some Hastings SS valves. I found some Manley Spring retainers that match the Sealed Power springs. I have that head out at a shop to be cleaned, magfluxed and rough in the valves. Also bronze bushings.

I'd also ask Russ about his camshaft tension bolt. Although mines a 2000 4.0L with the thrust plate for the camshaft, I think Russ sold me a pre '98 camshaft as I wanted a double roller timing chain. So, I needed a way to keep the camshaft from walking forward. The threads on mine matched the finer threads on the Compcam camshaft.

You must have his old heads, he uses beehives now!

You must have his old heads, he uses beehives now!

The head from Russ is about 2-3 years old. It does have the Chevy Beehive springs.
The Sealed Power ones are for some heads I did. I took a different approach. Previously, I had to turn down some Chevy Spring retainers to use the stock MOPAR springs. Then Russ told me, I might get some spring bind with the stock springs and a higher than stock lift camshaft. He sent me the Sealed Power springs. The ID at the top was a bit bigger than the stock springs. The Chevy retainers I had, had some play. I searched around and found some that would work. I found a set of Manley ones on E-Bay for about 1/2 cost.

Back