• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question about transmission (88 XJ)

88twodoor

NAXJA Forum User
Got a new to me 88 XJ 4.0 5spd 4X4 2-door

Already have an 88 MJ (actually bought the XJ for parts, but am thinking about fixing it up)

Seller said he put a new clutch in - no details on what all was done, but the Master looks new.

BA10/5 transmission, have the same thing in the MJ and haven't had any issues (yet)

Drove it 50 miles home after buying and found at the end was really struggling to get it in gear, any gear.

No grinding, just couldn't seem to finagle it into any gear - double clutching did not seem to help.

Shut it off and could easily find all gears - parked it and let it sit over night, next day it shifted through all gears just fine - so seems to work ok cold, but binds up after reaching temp? Have not had a chance to do any more check runs yet, so not sure if repeatable or not.

Suspect maybe something not lined up right or slave could be faulty/leaking - fluid level in master is good so far, should see that got down if slave is leaking - guess first step should be to bleed system if I can get the no-shift to repeat.

Right, rebleed. The master typically needs a bench bleed to ensure all the air is out.

Then check your linkage. If you have a floor mat, remove it for the test.

put in fifth gear, depress clutch with engine running brakes applied, note rpm, then shift to neutral. If engine rpm increases, that is a sign that the clutch is dragging.

You also might consider a fluid replacement. Don't use cheap gear oil. Use good stuff like Redline MT or Synchromesh. I'm not sure if the BA5/10 also has brass synchros, but GL5 is not friendly to brass.

Back