• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cherokee chief pkg ..what is it?

morgoon

NAXJA Forum User
Hey I am on a posting role... :)

can anyone tell me what is included in the cherokee chief package...

I have an 88 4.0 2 door sport

thank you

Morgoon

Decals, black grille-bumpers-flares-trim...... just an appearance package.

Many of them had the Dana 44 and tow package although I'm not sure that was part of the Chief stuff. I've got the '87 Chief, white paint with black trim and decals but mine has the dana44 and tranny cooler as well as trailer brakes (although I suspect they were aftermarket) and trailer wiring.

The Chief package was trim. It also included the sport style steering wheel, full gauge cluster, and (I think) the tachometer. The D44 axle was not part of the Chief package.

88 Sport? I don't recall there being a Sport model in 1988. I recall "Base," Pioneer, Chief, Laredo, and Limited.

When I bought my 88 MJ 9 months ago it had the window sticker in it so this is straght from that.

Chief Package
Includes:
5 Speed Manual overdrive transmission
am mono radio-2 speakers
cigar lighter
225/75R15 OWL all terrain tires
15x7 white styled wheels
bright hub covers
unique chief graphics/strips
black out exterior trim
bench seat-tooled grain vinyl
full carpeting-floor/back panel
upgraded door trim panels
sport steering wheel-color key
passenger assist handle
instrument panel-bright trim

some of this stuff might be upgraded differently because my truck has bucket seats and an auto tranny
EDIT: The cost for this package was $1,441.00

thanks for the info I have a 4.0/ auto/ 30/35c
and yeah the blacked out trim...with a full gauge package

and the coolest tilt..er swivel up and back seat...whatever you call it the whole thing moves like a normal seat, forward back recline then you pull the tilt lever and it rolls up and back kind of like the tilt a whirl...maybe I will try that lever out on the trail...when I get this 100.00 cdn xj dog off of the operating table...:)

you NAXJA ..as all jeepers do ...just simply rock

Morgoon

Tell me more about this seat, sounds interesting. Mabey something to search the yards for. What do you mean by "rolls" does the butt part of the seat tilt or what?

reading eagles post...I guess it is not a sport model...

I thought that was what a 2 door was refered too...?

perhaps not yet..in 88 ...when did the sport model come into exsistence?

anyone know

but anyways ...yeah the seat moves "rolls" up and down in an arc...

the passenger side is crazy much more arc than the drivers... looks kind of like this in motion...heavy use of imagination required...or some other substance ...

. .
. .
. .
oh man that is primitive...

when the front pivots up the bottom arcs down..and vice versa

it has a paddle like lever that comes from the tranny hump out towards the door on each side...about 6-8" long...I guess I can shoot some pics if you want..

it is wicked...

perhaps this is a 2 door feature?, as the back of the seat folds flat on the bottom part to enter the back seat

beats me I am new to the xj...my flatfender doesnt have doors...our room for your knees btw :):)

We call 'em "rocking chair" seats. Chrysler did away with them in 89 or 90. The manual seats, in addition to sliding forward and back on the standard flat rail, have a second, arched rail (curved up at the ends, down at center) that allows the entire seat to "rock" -- it changes the angle of the seat and the backrest together, so if you like a lot of thigh support you rock it back, and if that cuts of the blood supply to your legs you rock it forward.

It's a nice feature, but in all honesty I set the driver's seat in my '88 where I liked it within the first week I had the vehicle, and I don't think it has been moved since. My wife sometimes rocks the passenger seat, but she always ends up setting it back to the neutral position so I don't know why she bothers.

well I see that my cursor drawing did not come thru properly in the post..

thanks for the hundreth time Eagle..

keep on a rockin...:)

Morgoon

Back