• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CA Specific insurance questions

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK, I have an XJ which is totalled and I got allstate. What are my options? how does the buyback work? how do I get rid of the carcass later? does it cost me money to do so? Any suggestions about how to proceed? I'd like to retain some parts (4.88 detroit axles new rims and tires which might be salvageable, good motor and front coils and arms, rear springs are done for, one is bent).

desertjeeper said:
Um... Is this the same XJ you were driving at Big Bear today? If so what happend?

Sorry can't answer your questions since I've never been through that.
Yup. I'll let Remi go into all the details. But YUP, same XJ.:shocked:

Luther (aka Desert XJ), about three minutes after we all went in two different directions, Yup, same XJ.:shocked:
The inportant thing is thanks only to God, everyone is alright. Only a couple of minor scratches.

Tim

Kejtar said:
OK, I have an XJ which is totalled and I got allstate. What are my options? how does the buyback work? how do I get rid of the carcass later? does it cost me money to do so? Any suggestions about how to proceed? I'd like to retain some parts (4.88 detroit axles new rims and tires which might be salvageable, good motor and front coils and arms, rear springs are done for, one is bent).

Remi,

Talk to you insurace adjuster. If they total it you can buy it back for maybe 10% of the total payment. Lets say the insurance company will pay you $10K - your dedutable for you jeep and they take the jeep to the grave yard in the sky. You can ask to buy the jeep back. The amount varies between ins companies but it should be around $1 to buy it back. They will most likley take that from the $10K they were going to give you.

If you decide to make it street legal then you'll have to register it as a salvaged vehicle.

Hope you're ok.

Ray

If you decide to part it out, when you're done call one of the junkyards and they'll give you what its worth to tow it away - couple hundred or less if its stripped.

rpili2001 said:
If you decide to make it street legal then you'll have to register it as a salvaged vehicle.
I doubt I will put the time and effort to doing so cause it's in a bad shape plus I don't have the bender nor any other goodies to cage it properly.

If you decide to part it out, when you're done call one of the junkyards and they'll give you what its worth to tow it away - couple hundred or less if its stripped.
I'll be happy at the end probably to get it out of the driveway after I clean it out. I was concerned with having to pay $$ to get it out of there.

You wrecked the XJ!!!! :cry: What the hell man. Whats the story and what are your plans. :dunno:

Kejtar said:
OK, I have an XJ which is totalled and I got allstate. What are my options? ).
You really don't have any options. You and the insurance company are controlled by the provisions of the insurance policy. The insurance company knows exactly what the policy states. Do you? Do you know it by heart? If not, then you better start reading until you have a good working knowledge of the policy and its limitations.

how does the buyback work?
The insurance company would likely be willing to sell you back the car if you are willing to pay them more than they think they will get for the vehicle (as it currently stand) at auction.

how do I get rid of the carcass later?
Sell it to dismantler for scrap value. They'll pick it up with their tow truck.

does it cost me money to do so?
Depends on the scrap value.

Any suggestions about how to proceed?
Yup. The insurance company is interested in the vehicle that they insured, the particular vehicle that is identified by the VIN number on the policy. They don't care or more accurately, don't know whether the vehicle has aftermarket parts on it. Before you contact the insurance company, put stock parts back on it. Get stock wheels and tires, control arms, front springs, front bumper and any other parts you want or need to keep. Swap those out for the aftermarket parts that are currently on the vehicle. Remove the rock rails and rack. Put you old rear axle back in. Then and olny then contact the insurance company. They will tow the vehicle away and you will still have your parts.

Keep in mind that from now on, the insurance company has but one mission... to give as little money as it can possibly get away giving you. You, on the other hand, are arguing two opposing views to them.

You are trying to convince the insurance company that your vehicle is worth far more than it is actually worth. When you lose that battle, and trust me... you will lose, you then have to argue the opposite view, that your parts aren't really worth that much. You won't have much luck winning that arguement either.

I'm not sure about Andy's suggestion about not calling your insurance co. until after you have done your parts swap.
Most policies give you only a day or two to contact them after an accident
I'm not positive on that.
The one thing I am sure about...is that the insured should never lose to an insurance company!
I am an insurance contractor and I have never (and I am not kidding) had a situation that an insurance company has been able to not pay a valid claim.
I have hadto argue many times on the behalf of the insured...but have yet to lose those arguments.
You will find Allstate is the cream of the crop of the auto insurance business. They will treat you honestly and probalby will not give you grief.
Be honest with them and require honesty from them.
They will total your rig....
let them know up front you want it after your claim is settled....
best of luck on the claim....
(should we be scouting a replacement for you?)
Rick

Jump This said:
I'm not sure about Andy's suggestion about not calling your insurance co. until after you have done your parts swap.
Most policies give you only a day or two to contact them after an accident
I'm not positive on that.
The one thing I am sure about...is that the insured should never lose to an insurance company!
I am an insurance contractor and I have never (and I am not kidding) had a situation that an insurance company has been able to not pay a valid claim.
I have hadto argue many times on the behalf of the insured...but have yet to lose those arguments.
You will find Allstate is the cream of the crop of the auto insurance business. They will treat you honestly and probalby will not give you grief.
Be honest with them and require honesty from them.
They will total your rig....
let them know up front you want it after your claim is settled....
best of luck on the claim....
(should we be scouting a replacement for you?)
Rick

YUp, I think you're right and that's what I've been following since morning. I have called them and made the claim. I already got couple calls back from them and did the statement (Bottom line is I'm not sure about the cause but after it was all over one tire lost the bead and no I don't think I could have done anything to avoid it) and they are dispatching 2 people (at least) to see my jeep: first one is a tire expert/engineer and the other is someone that will do an estimate. THey did talk about taking it and giving it back and I told them that I will not release it from my possession till it's all said and done and I"m through with it.
Anyways, they are coming out Thurs morning, then I'm going to take my sis and family to Sequoia (taking my folks' Durango to tow the camper) so I'll get back into it next week.

Scouting for a new one... of course. I won't do nothing till I got a check in my hand and I know how much I can spend but it's going to be good to know what's out there. Actually I'm currently looking at two things:
1. 98XJ (+/- 1 year) with 4.0 4dr 5sp sport with up country (or close to it) for insurance haggling
2. something cheap that I will be able to swap my drivetrain over. I do like the newer body styles but.... those will be more (plus I like the steel hatch vs the fiberglass one).

And after all that, I'll be recruiting people for work parties to swap the drivetrain over :D

rpili2001 said:
Remi,

Talk to you insurace adjuster. If they total it you can buy it back for maybe 10% of the total payment. Lets say the insurance company will pay you $10K - your dedutable for you jeep and they take the jeep to the grave yard in the sky. You can ask to buy the jeep back. The amount varies between ins companies but it should be around $1 to buy it back. They will most likley take that from the $10K they were going to give you.

Hope you're ok.

Ray

That thing is worth about $400 salvage value.
Its way more beat than mine was and I only paid $650 for it.

Kejtar said:
Here's the pics
NO. The other pics. You know, from the run.:shhh:

Damn, Remi, that sucks... Glad to hear everyone is okay!!!! At least you have time till oct.......:) I built my new XJ in the 2 weeks before EJS, so it CAN be done....:) Good luck

Joe

Kejtar said:
My sis and niece had a blast... till the end of the run. The rest... well it's history :D
Yea, they did seem to be having a blast. It was a good run. No "U" turns! Count 'em; none, zero, zip, nada .:D Got stuck three times too, another plus! Damn, I was roll! Oops. Sorry.

The rest...well...sure scared the snot out of the wife and I. BTW, :nono: Do you remember Norma scolding you; "don't do that again"!? Tell the gals she says hi.:wave:

Tim

FlexyJOE said:
Damn, Remi, that sucks... Glad to hear everyone is okay!!!! At least you have time till oct.......:) I built my new XJ in the 2 weeks before EJS, so it CAN be done....:) Good luck

Joe
OK.. 2 weeks... but how many work hours?

Back