• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Texas Members?

A couple of years ago my folks called out of the blue from MO. Their steam locomotive group was driving their engine down to Temple to pull excursions for the Burlington employee appreciation days but my Dad had a doctor's appointment and couldn't ride along.

So my Dad says he's looking at the road atlas map of Texas. If they fly into Houston at 11:00am could we pick them up and take them to Temple?

Well, lets see Dad: that's 1:45 to Hobbie, 1:45 back to Huntsville, then 4:00 to Temple and 4:00 back to Huntsville again. How about we bring you up to Huntsville and you rent a car the next morning? Sometimes even an engineer can forget to check the scale.

When my brother was in the hospital at Lacland we drove to San Antonio every weekend. We'd leave after work Friday and get back to work Monday morning. Hail, it's 14 hours just to get the boys up to MO to see their Grandparents.

The only thing stoppin' us is time and money. After that it's easy :laugh3: :laugh3:

Live in Palestine, near Tyler. Anyone want to try and plan something, let me know if i can help.

Mike

i'm digging this idea... hell we all drive some distance to go wheeling whether it's 100 miles or 1000 miles... i know i go to moab every year and thats about 1250 for me... so driving is just parta what it takes to do what we do and really is a moot point IMHO...

as far as where to meet... seems to me it should be a weekend thing to make the drive worthwhile to most folks plus somewhere central... and since we're talking about texas looks like central texas is about the most logical... katemcy rocks seems like the best choice...

any other ideas? i think a TX chapter with subs in houston, SA, austin, dfw would be a good way to start... i know the Lone Star Landcruisers Club works with something to that effect...

i'll do what i can to help...

gainesville, 60ish miles north of dallas

The thing is, I'm out of a trailer right now. My Jeep does NOT do well on the road. I'd be willing to drive some, but not far until I get another trailer (Probably next August).

.....Curt

I love the idea of having TX subchapters. Texas is a big state, there would almost be no way you could have a meeting in a neutral location. I'm 80 something miles west of San Antonio. Devils Den seems to be the place to play in SA. I'd love to be a part of this. Well.....that's after I become a RED....

:party:

Hey Y'all I'm in Central Texas, by Ft. Hood. Anyone near me?

I might suggest you post in the Red River chapter area. That is more likely to get a response specific to the Texas area.

David Bricker / SYR

Back