• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4" springs ... currie/jeepspeed?

MMIXJ

NAXJA Forum User
looking for some 4" springpacks. searched here for currie and only a couple of hits came up
of people suggesting them, but no real reviews or opinions offered from anyone using 'em...

who else makes a 4" spring pack? can't find a website for deaver and the national website is
under construction.

thanks.

terry

MMIXJ said:
looking for some 4" springpacks. searched here for currie and only a couple of hits came up
of people suggesting them, but no real reviews or opinions offered from anyone using 'em...

who else makes a 4" spring pack? can't find a website for deaver and the national website is
under construction.

thanks.

terry
http://www.deaverspring.com/

I haven't really found anything on the currie springs either but they look sweet. I might try them out. Either that or have my own set custom built(my own specs).

$638.89 :scared:

wow... these must be magic springs.

;)

91 Jeep Project said:
A little birdie told me that the Currie Springs are made by National. I'll be running 4" BOR Alcan's on mine. Search for my thread on them, alot of good info.

i'll look for your thread... though the last thread i searched had you buying a pair of 5" nationals? :dunno:

changed your mind, eh?

well i found out that the currie springs are actually made by deaver...

funny thing though is that deaver claims they're 3" but currie sells them as 4". :dunno:

still nobody here running 'em huh?

the BOR springs sound good but i'm not sure i can wait that long for them to be made
(jeep is apart in my parents' garage-- my dad's gonna regret getting air tools). :D

if anybody has experience w/ these currie/deaver springs, let me know! (esp. actual lift height)

thanks.

terry

MMIXJ said:
i'll look for your thread... though the last thread i searched had you buying a pair of 5" nationals? :dunno:

changed your mind, eh?

Yeah, the Deaver coils I received were less than satisfactory, so I sent them back. Went with a set of the tried and true, Rubicons. In which case I had to change my leaf spring choice around as I went with a different sized coil................. :wave:

MMIXJ said:

funny thing though is that deaver claims they're 3" but currie sells them as 4". :dunno:

the BOR springs sound good but i'm not sure i can wait that long for them to be made
(jeep is apart in my parents' garage-- my dad's gonna regret getting air tools). :D

if anybody has experience w/ these currie/deaver springs, let me know! (esp. actual lift height)
I had a conversation with , I think Scott, at Deaver. He confirmed that the Currie springs are infact Deaver springs. When asked about any Deaver off the shelf springs, he refered me directly to the Currie springs. I liked what I heard, and have seen in pics, 9 leaves, with that 1/2 leaf up front to help with axle wrap. Although I have not ever seen them on a truck! That is making me hesitate, but I think I'm going with the Currie springs, when I get the cash! Next month? Scott indicated I could expect about 3 inches with all the weight I've got in my rear end. I exchanged emails with the BOR dude, can't remember his name. They don't sound bad at all, and I've read good things about their longevity, which is a priority to me. But, he indicated that I'd likely get more than 4 inches with the weight I've got in my rear end. I'm really trying to keep lift to a minimum for now, and looking for 3 inches.
I'm not one to jump on something unproven, but I think I may be on this issue!
HTH

MMIXJ said:

thanks.

terry
probably because they're for JeepSpeed and those guys are lighter than you average trail/rock-crawling XJ

BrettM said:
probably because they're for JeepSpeed and those guys are lighter than you average trail/rock-crawling XJ
Even though they may be lighter, and I don't know what their race weights are, I would still think they would take quite a beating blasting through the desert? Wouldn't you think the race environment would subject them to a good bit of abuse? Maybe it's completely different abuse than trail work. I'm looking for a spring that will live on the street with a heavy foot (read axle wrap) as well as survive many cycles on the trail. I dunno. I wish I could find someone who's driven these Currie springs on the street/trail! :rattle:

ChuckstrPT said:
Even though they may be lighter, and I don't know what their race weights are, I would still think they would take quite a beating blasting through the desert? Wouldn't you think the race environment would subject them to a good bit of abuse? Maybe it's completely different abuse than trail work. I'm looking for a spring that will live on the street with a heavy foot (read axle wrap) as well as survive many cycles on the trail. I dunno. I wish I could find someone who's driven these Currie springs on the street/trail! :rattle:
I would expect they would do very well for that. If they height isn't what you want, add a taller shackle and/or a small block.

keep in mind that the currie springs are the "sportsman" springs...

they don't offer the "jeepspeed" springs they used to, which were dialed in primarily
for desert racing. i think these sportsman packs are a bit more generic.

d*mn... i'm in a conundrum. the currie springs are in stock and i need a set now,
but if they're really only 3" then that ain't so good for me, but the BOR springs
take 4+ weeks.

decisions decisions.

;)

MMIXJ said:
keep in mind that the currie springs are the "sportsman" springs...

they don't offer the "jeepspeed" springs they used to, which were dialed in primarily
for desert racing. i think these sportsman packs are a bit more generic.

d*mn... i'm in a conundrum. the currie springs are in stock and i need a set now,
but if they're really only 3" then that ain't so good for me, but the BOR springs
take 4+ weeks.

decisions decisions.

;)

Just a FYI, from personal experience. An "off the shelf" Deaver Spring is no better than a Rubicon. To get the full benefit of their springs you need to have them custom made, which is what they recommend. Their off the shelf products are just like every other mass produced part, nothin' to special.......... :lecture:

Terry, I would just bite the bullet and grab a set of BORs.......... :us:

91 Jeep Project said:
Just a FYI, from personal experience. An "off the shelf" Deaver Spring is no better than a Rubicon. To get the full benefit of their springs you need to have them custom made, which is what they recommend. Their off the shelf products are just like every other mass produced part, nothin' to special.......... :lecture:

Terry, I would just bite the bullet and grab a set of BORs.......... :us:

I disagree. I had Deaver custom make a couple sets of springs last year, during which time I made quite a few trips down to their shop & spent a good deal of time talking to them. Their off the shelf springs are as good as you're going to get anywhere, custom or not. Their Jeepspeed springs use 9 thin leaves (IIRC), a military wrap main + an English eye.
If you want a spring that will control axle wrap & felx well, go Deaver.
If you want a spring that will control axle wrap, not flex, but allow you to carry your Hi-Lift & kitchen sink on the trail, go BOR.

Paul

Paul S said:
I disagree. I had Deaver custom make a couple sets of springs last year, during which time I made quite a few trips down to their shop & spent a good deal of time talking to them. Their off the shelf springs are as good as you're going to get anywhere, custom or not. Their Jeepspeed springs use 9 thin leaves (IIRC), a military wrap main + an English eye.
This was my impression after talking to them on the phone. Before he knew I was in Alabama...he was talking about brining the truck in to adjust if needed. Unfortunately, I'm too far for that. But they did sound very helpful, and willing to work with you. That description is exactly what he gave me for the Currie springs, and the reason I'm still considering them.

Paul S said:
If you want a spring that will control axle wrap, not flex, but allow you to carry your Hi-Lift & kitchen sink on the trail, go BOR.

Paul

I'm gonna have to disagree with that. From what I have researched on BORs, the whole not flexing thing is a load of B.S. Which is one reason I started the thread I did. Once you get them broken in, there awesome. Didn't have on person post in the thread who owned them saying that they sucked and did not flex. All the owners were more than happy. And in a month or two you can add me to that list...............:cheers:

As far as the Deavers go. Ordered a set of their off the shelf 5.5" Coils. When the springs got here they had been SPRAY PAINTED black. Looked like a 5 year old did it, big paint runs all over. On top of that they made it in the box before they were dry. So I had a crap load of cardboard fused to every rung all the way down. I could have received as nicer part from Rusty. If their off the shelf packs are anything like their coils, I'd haul ass in the other direction. For $250, I expect ALOT more........:lecture:

Last edited:
Back