NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old December 9th, 2003, 07:37
NAXJA Forum User

Question What Tires Will Stuff

This weekend I am installing a Rubicon Express 4.5" Superflex kit on my 1999 XJ. RE states that this lift will clear 32x11.50 tires - apparently without trimming. How can I determine what backspacing I will need?

Those of you with 4.5" lifts - what are you running? Where were your tires rubbing and what did you do to correct it?

I'm out of money so replacing the flares is no an option right now - and I would like to leave the stock flares on.

Thanks,
-Brian

BTW: I'm not having any luck with the search so if this has been covered, and I am guessing it has, I am sorry. If you can post links to the threads covering this I would appreciate it.
Old December 9th, 2003, 07:45
NAXJA Forum User

Re: What Tires Will Stuff

Hello, I have that exact lift and tirs (size) get the 15x8 rim with 4.5" backspacing....I recomend getting the adjustable LCA and UCA's because it seems the ones they give you still bring back the tire a little causeing minor rubbing.......check out my we site to see some flex pix.... http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/357158 it's a great set-up...which shocks are you getting? I got the procomp es3000 they are stiff as hell I don't recomend them, get some adjustables! hope this helps
Old December 9th, 2003, 08:22
PostMaster General

well... it all depends on how much articulation you want and which rims will you use, and what you setup your wheelbase at with arms (front) and the phase of the moon (I'm kind of serious on that last one as there is the "jeep" factor to take into account.).....
Old December 9th, 2003, 08:45
PostMaster General

oh... btw, what I'm trying to say is that put the lift on and you should have next to no problems with 32" tires (maybe just some fine tuning of bumpstops.... but if you want, you could actually get 33" tires and get them to work almost the same way and with just a tiny bit of trimming and right backspacing you should be able to get that to work as well
Old December 9th, 2003, 08:48
I Jeep, therefore, I am..

I have a cumulation of RE parts which ultimately netted me 6" even all the way around. Based on past findings of others that have installed the RE 4.5 lift, you'll be around the 6" or slightly more lift from stock, as well.

All that being said, with my 6" of lift, 4.5" BS wheel, I can stuff my 32x11.50 BFG MT's with NO rubbing anywhere (front & rear).... stock flairs, wheel liners, etc. At the closest point (front wheel well, lower rear section) I come within 1/2" of touching anything. I do have 3" worth of extended bump stops, but even when the axle contacts them, I still have my clearance. The bumps stops keep the tire from hitting the spring coils, and rear wheel well area.

Each XJ is a little different though... these are just my findings
Old December 9th, 2003, 09:40
NAXJA Forum User

Great posts guys - your are posting what is working for you and that is exactly what I wanted. I want to avoid trimming for a while. I can always trim later but I can't put the metal back once it is gone.

I ordered the kit with adjustable control arms (upper and lower) thinking that it would help with alignment and tire placement. So I'm all set there. I went with the DT 3000 shocks.

So far it sounds like 4.5" of backspacing on eight inch rims is the winner - how about everyone else? What is working (or not) for you.

Thanks again,
-Brian
Old December 9th, 2003, 09:55
NAXJA Forum User

my first lift was a 4" trailmaster and i had 32x11.50s. they did rub in the rear at stuff. the front was fine. i was running stock 15x7s.
-g
Old December 9th, 2003, 10:44
NAXJA Forum User

Your new lift will actually be more than the advertised height for a while as noted above. I'm at 4" with 32's and 4.50" BS on 15x8 wheels. I've trimmed the front fenders and flares and cut out most of the inner fender liner. In the rear I just deal with the rubbing at full stuff. It's along the top of the stock flare. Since you'll be closer to 5+ inches, I think you'll be fine. If you go with less backspacing on the wheels however, plan on hearing tire tread hitting your flares. Moving the wheels out further using the popular 3.75" BS is certain to rub when trying to stuff.
Old December 9th, 2003, 11:03
NAXJA Forum User

Brian, don't be afraid of the sawzall, it is your friend If you wanna see what 4.5-5" with 32s looks like, come check out my Jeep. I took the 33s off in favor of my 32 ATs for the winter. I know you've seen my Jeep with the 33s and I can show you how much and where I trimmed for reference purposes. Truthfully, I think you could probably stuff 33s with moderate trimming in a few appropriate areas. Email me if you wanna stop by sometime... ary01xj@vt.edu

Ary
Old December 9th, 2003, 11:58
PostMaster General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ary'01XJ
Brian, don't be afraid of the sawzall, it is your friend
Ary is right... there is a lot of trimming that can be done, that's invisible to the outside.... and it still allows you to retain stock flares in stock locations My rear is trimmed a bit... and my flares are in stock location, but I did choose to trim the flares themselves a bit as well, and as a result at about 4" ~ 4.5" I ran 33x1050 BFG MT's for couple days with only a little bit rubbing (not sure what were the rims, but I have a feeling that if I had bigger backspacing I would not rub at all)