• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power steering pump dying?

UltimateG

NAXJA Forum User
Hiya,

I have a couple of noob questions for a problem that’s new to me. I’ve done a search, but not found much info.

I guess my power steering pump is going out. It’s begun making some ugly sounds: A growling rattle, and a bit of a squeek, too. I assume that these are coming from a failing bearing?

My Question: What’s the best (cheapest) way to fix this? Is this repairable, or do I need to just go buy a new pump? Is this a problem that can be fixed with a rebuild kit like this: Here. Will this failure contaminate the rest of the PS system, or is the bearing seperate?

If I go pull a pump from the junkyard, what years can I pick from?

Got any other advice for this project that might not be mentioned in the Haynes?

Thanks.

[FONT=&quot]1994 Sport, all stock DD 4.0 AW4 100Kmi.[/FONT]

Mine went out this summer. It started with the same simptoms of the OP. I got one from Napa for around $150 with core. NOTE: Be careful pulling the pulley off and pushing it back on. I ended up having to buy 2 new pulleys, as I damaged the original pulling it off and damaged the new one pushing it back on. If you do not have a puller or installer, you can rent them from checker or autozone for free. Maybe Napa too. It took me about 2 hours to swap out. Mainly drive time back and forth to parts store. I would not pull one from the junk yard, you may end up having to swap another in sooner than you want to.

My pump sounded like it was ready to grenade on my 87. Try swapping out the fluid a few times with some fresh stuff, its done wonders on 2 of mine with high mileage, no more noises etc.

I'm really short on time and money right now, and I need to get it back on the road again ASAP. Would there be any negative affects If I install a shorter serpentine belt that does not even go over the PS pump? --Then just drove without any power steering for a while?

How hard is this jeep to handle without PS?

you will play absolute hell without that PS pump, it's about 10 times worse than a deuce and a half (2.5 ton Army truck with no PS) try shutting off your engine coming down your street and turn into your driveway, that'll give you an idea of what you're facing

UltimateG said:
I'm really short on time and money right now, and I need to get it back on the road again ASAP. Would there be any negative affects If I install a shorter serpentine belt that does not even go over the PS pump? --Then just drove without any power steering for a while?

How hard is this jeep to handle without PS?

shorter belt costs more than new fluid and a flush.

89xj said:
shorter belt costs more than new fluid and a flush.
Yeah, I just finished flushing four quarts through, and it still sounds like it's going to explode into a millon piecs of PS schrapnel.:(

Back