• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

who makes a good cooler

poomero

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking to buy a cooler that is 70-100qts and will keep ice frozen for up to 5 days. I have seen a few coleman and igloo coolers that say they do but when i read the reviews it says 3 day max.

What do you guys have and how well do they hold ice.

I bet you could make a cooler that would really kick ass. Form the inside out of stainless steel sheet metal, rivet and calk the seams (or weld if you can), then use 2" of XPS insulation, and make the outside out of 1/4 luan or something, with perforated angle iron on the edges. Or more sheet metal.

If you want the ice to last longer, use thicker insulation.

Also don't open it as much. Use a smaller day cooler and put your beer for that day into it.

You could probably also add more insulation to an existing cooler.

Last edited:
yeah thats more work then just going and buying one. good idea but i dont feel like doing all that.

Used to have a 100 quart cooler for elk camp. First time we filled it and then tried to load it--handle snapped off. We managed to wrestle it into the trailer. Next year we loaded it on the trailer and then filled it. After a couple years of working around it we donated it to our Cowboy Action club and started using smaller coolers.

Just thought you might want to give the loaded weight some consideration.

as was partially mentioned, unless you really need a large container for large objects, 2 smaller 40-60qrt coolers would probably work better.
I have a 62qrt with extended handle and wheels that is great, even if dragging over sand, rough terrain of camp sites, etc. the large amounts of food go in it. Things that NEED to be cool stay in it and its opened only before meal time.
the beer, buns, other non frozen essentials go in a smaller box to keep out of the sun, and to stay fresh a few days longer.
as above, makes carrying much easier to have 2+ smaller ones as opposed to the behemoth that needs 2 people to get anywhere.

I'll get the specs make/model/etc over the weekend but I purchase a cooler about ten years ago that holds ice for five days. It is the long term cooler. As previously mentioned a smaller cooler that was opened often held the drinks and day to day stuff.

yeah i want the big one for camping trips to hold meat and stuff like that in. I have a small one for drinks and snacks. I wont be moving the big one around once it is at camp so weight will not be an issue. Im just a freak when it comes to food that should be cold when it is stored. I wont eat it if its not cold even if its cooked. Im the person that throws milk out the day it says sell by.

Plan your meals out for each day. Freeze the stuff to be used later in the week, that will help with keeping things cool.

The night before you are going to pack the cooler(s) throw an ice block in it to pre-chill the insides.

Only open the long-hold coolers for a short time when you have too. Keep them out of the sun, and if you lay your hands on a U-Haul moving blanket--the really heavy quilted kind--keep it covered with one of those.

The Dry ice needs to be on top,find/make a tray to fit on top a call it good!

Back