• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Running just fine then dies at idle on street

JeffDB

NAXJA Forum User
Had my 98 XJ die on me on street today. Engine had been running smooth with no problems starting. The only issue I noticed is my temp gauge would get just a little above 210 but no higher and the oil pressure gauge would furiously from 40 psi at idle down to 20 psi and fluctuate back and forth. It only did it once engine was at operating temp. Suspect it’s oil send unit. After it died it would crank over but not start. If the send unit failed would it cause engine to die and not start?

The oil pressure sensor failing is pretty common, but won't stop it from starting. The most likely culprit is the crank position sensor. Have you checked for any codes?

Oil pressure sensor only runs the gauge, no effect on engine running. X2 on the cps as the main culprit. Could also be tps or the fuel pump went out.

The oil pressure sensor failing is pretty common, but won't stop it from starting. The most likely culprit is the crank position sensor. Have you checked for any codes?

Check engine light didn’t come on at all. I had it towed to my tech buddies shop so he’ll probably do that this week when he gets to it.

does the rpm gauge jump up during cranking? it should go to about 300 rpms. if it doesn't move I would suspect Crank sensor or wiring.

Back