• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 hard steering

onetallmj

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone,

I just purchased an 88 MJ longbed 4x4, with auto, 4.0 power steering and brakes, lifted approx. 5" with a spring over in the back.
My problem: I went four wheeling on the beach the other day, hit some hard bumps. When I shifted back to 2wd the steering was very hard when I turned sharply. Opend the central axle disconnect and found the axles connected. Inspected the u-joints but they look in one piece to me. Lifted front and cycled the steering, seemed ok. All the linkages look ok and connected.
What now? Help!!:confused:
thanks
Wade
88 MJ
54 Willys pickup
69 Camaro

Ok just found that the t-case was still in 4wd, now how do i go about getting it to shift to 2wd? ( yes the lever is in the 2wd position!!):rolleyes: :helpme:

You use pliers or a Crescent wrench to shift the transfer case back to 2WD manually from under the vehicle, then you get a FSM and adjust and lubricate the linkage.

The axle disconnect operates on vacuum, so once the transfer case is in 2WD the axle should disconnect when you start the engine and roll a few feet in either direction.

found it

Found the problem, the pivot bar for the shift linkage was popped out of the support bearing. Popped it back into place and everything shifts fine now, thanks for the help:)

Back