• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are you doing to your rig - the continuing saga

anything past a 4.10 on the d30 pinion is a time bomb, and it's still about the same price.

Where did you get that info? I have seen tons of D30s on 4.56's over the last 20+ years on here. I have seen lots of drivers side shafts break, but never a R&P.

Haha most action this page has had in a while......

Well then, I damn was told some terrible information. I would have re-geared it a few years earlier. Gears it is.

It's not completely wrong, as you get higher in ratio you lose teeth. Which yes, does make the ring gear not as strong as it was before. That being said if you are doing the type of wheeling the D30 is built for it won't be a problem. The people breaking off teeth are the ones who should have upgraded to something else already.

Well then, I damn was told some terrible information. I would have re-geared it a few years earlier. Gears it is.

Gearing would be less expensive route to go in my opinion, I have a 29 spline 8.25 with 4.88 gears/limited slip/disc brakes/solid diff cover I am selling, PM me if interested.

New linkage for the ZJ, took some effort. No one makes a bolt on solution for this application '93-'95 w/249.

i.php

i.php

Last edited:
Attempting to blow a head gasket and warp a head ...lol. for the 3rd time I turned on my Jeep and didn't turn on the fans and started doing something else . I intended only to run it for a couple minutes to bring the battery up since I never charged it after finding my mystery draw , well I got busy cleaning up things and about 15-20 minutes later noticed the leaky heater core was extra steamy then instantly I ran and pretty much flew into the cab to hit all 3 fans the temp was right about 260 luckily it never did boil over . Next week I'm wiring atleast one fan into the coolant temp sensor . Not many engines can take this stupidity ;-)

New linkage for the ZJ, took some effort. No one makes a bolt on solution for this application '93-'95 w/249.

i.php

i.php

Myn93nzj had some odd linkage binding... after going to an np242 I had to make a new tab cuznit wouldn't shift through all yhe gears with the cookie cutter piece ingot with the 242. Is that boostwerks linkage?

Myn93nzj had some odd linkage binding... after going to an np242 I had to make a new tab cuznit wouldn't shift through all yhe gears with the cookie cutter piece ingot with the 242. Is that boostwerks linkage?

Yep, Boostwerks linkage with a 249 specific arm for the shifter handle and an adjuster rod I sourced separately to account for the 4.5" additional length of the 46RH in the '93-'95.

Last edited:
Was alone today on my Sunday but to play with the struts so went to spring Creek to drive up and down the waterfall about 30x...lol...poser shot on rocks at top .

IMG_20220615_170809874_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220615_171011145.jpg

Washing coolant from everywhere under the front end. We ran Chinaman's since only one rig . On the stair cases we had few drips of coolant which we took the far left steep side and it lifted the drive dude 2 feet while cresting the top so I assumed the leak was from that top . We ran the chutes next in pouring rain with passenger side all the up on the hill and the jeep was driving funny like overheat but temps showed under 200 as they had been entire trail . At top we got a steam show from under hood the temps were still under 210 . Upon opening the hood I found my coolant reservoir had moved and rubbed the alternator . I left all fluids on the trailer so i flipped the reservoir and plugged it with a stick wrapped in tape it still had some fluid in it so I figured we would just drive with intent to get done quick keeping close eye on temps . Just as we were heading up the steep dirt slopes in the rain temos hit 260 pretty much at once and it stalled . Let it sit off for 20 minutes and it started and ran it to top of those muddy slopes which were damn slick . Shut it off and repeated process for 3 hours trying to keep it from severely over heating and dying on the trail . Despite the overflow bottle having some coolant in it I kinda knew we were empty as the radiator was cool to the touch . 3 hours later at trailer we let it sit while talking to a group from Penrose and decided to top off low strut and fill the cooling system to run Carnage only to find coolant flowing out the lower hose which had split and was the main cause of loss not the recovery tank . So now I'm waiting until tomorrow to swap hoses and fill the system and see if it survived that . We did turn it on after it was cold and briefly ran it to 5k it seemed to run well but we'll see what happens after filled .

That was a brand new hose as well not sure what caused it to split but next hose is getting heavy duty sleeves to cover them as cheap insurance .

Wow just wow...lol... After blowing the lower radiator hose last Sunday on the trail and limping it back to the parking lot empty on coolant I just found my two spare xj radiator hoses sitting right in the tool box on the trailer ...hmmmmmm....gates part# 20559 ...yep had I just put them in the tool box in the jeep along with atleast 2 of the 6 gallons of coolant sitting on the trailer I'd have had a simple 5 minute fix a...lol...but noooo I put enough tools in the box to build the jeep but none of the spare parts ...lol...I mean sitting on the trailer is every spare hose , fluid even fuel injection parts cps and spare ecu which one of it's useful Miles away at trail head .

Wow just wow...lol... After blowing the lower radiator hose last Sunday on the trail and limping it back to the parking lot empty on coolant I just found my two spare xj radiator hoses sitting right in the tool box on the trailer ...hmmmmmm....gates part# 20559 ...yep had I just put them in the tool box in the jeep along with atleast 2 of the 6 gallons of coolant sitting on the trailer I'd have had a simple 5 minute fix a...lol...but noooo I put enough tools in the box to build the jeep but none of the spare parts ...lol...I mean sitting on the trailer is every spare hose , fluid even fuel injection parts cps and spare ecu which one of it's useful Miles away at trail head .

Well Oh oh oriellys strikes again ...the hoses I have sitting that I've had for a awhile turns out the lower hose part# 20559 is for a 70s Chevy Camaro ...???.... I've had them too long to return them If I had a dollar for eveytime they sold me an incorrect part I'd be able buy a tank of premium gas .

Need to address my lack of brakes. Bought new master cylinder which I decided to try the Durango Master cylinder which is direct bolt on . I will be completely flushing the 12 year old fluid out the calipers seem to work so I'll wait until new master and flushed, filled and bled to see how they work then possibly buy new calipers if I need new calipers I'll get a set of eldorado for the rear to get an ebrake back I do have a set of them already but they turned out to be the smaller 5 .5 mount design which is also a smaller pad so they are sitting as useless paper weights .

Got home couple hours ago found my new master cylinder on the steps couldn't wait to install it so skipped sleep and spent an hour putting it on and doing a quick bleed . Prior to the the new master cylinder with back wheel off the ground I could still move the wheel with fully applied pedal it was very hard but obviously if I can break it loose it's not doing much on a waterfall to hold 6k back . I used a Durango Master the brakes are 100% now no more. Suicide missions on the steep stuff . My new heavy duty radiator hoses were shipped to Colorado springs by accident after already getting to Denver so now they won't arrive until late Monday so I'm probably going to buy a gates lower from oriellys at twice what they cost on line so I can stop wondering if the head gasket held up or if next weekend is spent pulling the head instead of going to holy cross .

Swapped hose should have swapped those awful factory clamps off as well they are not easy to reach on the block side and then after filing ran until 210 without fans on shut it off and filled again .I ran it twice without fans to 220+ and I can't see any evidence of damage to head gasket /head so I'm going to assume it survived hitting 260 and being driven off trail completely empty on coolant radiator and block . The oil was only a month old it's Mobil 1 synthetic but due to heat I'm still going to drain and fill ...lol... The 4.0 don't got much horsepower but it's durable.

Back