NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old August 16th, 2022, 11:14
NAXJA Forum User

Re: What BRAND Tranny fluid and T-case fluid do you use? (AW4/NP231)

When I (briefly) had a WJ I'd never even heard of ATF+4 & really had to shop around on-line to find some at a reasonable price (so that excludes any known US brand, only available from sources that fly in individual quarts at a price about what I'd expect to pay for a gallon).

We don't have the choice of regular Mercon/Dexron (remember when your manual would specify one or the other?) either brand or spec, so now it's whatever generic ATF I can get in a 20, or 25, litre drum with free shipping.

Which proves, at least to my satisfaction, that the Jeep probably appreciates fresh fluid now and again (only recently realised just how often it's s'posed to be changed) but doesn't care whose name's on the container. I think the main reasons folk stick to the same product are habit, or brand loyalty - which is fine, but a quite different issue to whether any one is better than another.
Old August 16th, 2022, 11:57
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xjin85 View Post
Ahhh, the good old "it's a jeep, not a Ferrari" You know what? It is a Jeep..My jeep..not your Jeep. And let me tell you my friend that it most certainly does matter. Especially with a truck about to turn 200k don't the tranny. It's not about fancy fluid...It is about putting quality in my jeep to make it run top. In regards to your transmission cooler statement, who said I don't have one? Let's stick to the narrative buddy, OK?
Can I hear an AMEN!
Old August 16th, 2022, 16:03
Freakish Hand Strength

My 1998 has +284,000 miles on fleet maintenance fluids, meaning whatever was the cheapest 55 gallon drum of oil or Dexron-III/Mercon fluid when it was time to buy more.

A transmission cooler, and regular fluid changes are all that is necessary for long transmission and engine life. I use the Farm and Fleet store brand, or whatever is on sale at WallyMart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

Go ahead and slam the liftgate down on a blanket, and see how long you are laughing.

Last edited by Tim_MN; September 8th, 2022 at 18:16.
Old August 16th, 2022, 19:24
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xjin85 View Post
Ahhh, the good old "it's a jeep, not a Ferrari" You know what? It is a Jeep..My jeep..not your Jeep. And let me tell you my friend that it most certainly does matter. Especially with a truck about to turn 200k don't the tranny. It's not about fancy fluid...It is about putting quality in my jeep to make it run top. In regards to your transmission cooler statement, who said I don't have one? Let's stick to the narrative buddy, OK?
Your type is too much! Read your thread title youngin, you literally asked what fluids I run.
You do you, dude. But 200k is cute. I have two approaching 400k.

Old August 17th, 2022, 13:46
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_MN View Post
My 1998 has +284,000 miles on fleet maintenance fluids, meaning whatever was the cheapest 55 gallon drum of oil or Dexron-III/Mercon fluid when it was time to buy more.

A transmission cooler, and regular fluid changes are all that is necessary for long transmission and engine life.
Old August 17th, 2022, 13:54
NAXJA Forum User

Factory recommendation.
Drain and fill every 30,000 miles for normal duty.
Taxi, livery, postal delivery, frequent towing every 15,000 miles.
Now, that's drain and fill only.
The only time that pan is supposed to come off is if the trans fails like needing to replace the solenoids or internal problems, or if the gasket leaks.
That internal screen is there to keep debris out of the valve body in the event there is a catastrophic failure. It's not a filter.
Changing the fluid at the recommended intervals, with the recommended fluids, is more important than the brand of fluid used.
Old September 8th, 2022, 10:29
NAXJA Forum User

What BRAND Tranny fluid and T-case fluid do you use? (AW4/NP231)

BG products full synthetic ATF ftw. Comes in gallon jugs. Pull return line and stick into an empty washer fluid bottle, pump 4 qts out, replace 4 qts new fluid, repeat 3-4x or until happy with color/condition of new fluid. 30min job and more old fluid comes out than with a drain and fill or pan drop. Doing it this way gets the old fluid out of the torque converter. By the time you finish you should be about 85%-90% new fluid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old September 8th, 2022, 14:52
NAXJA Forum User

I recently installed a Magnefine filter
in my 96 Sport, and it's keeping the
fluid cherry red. I don't think the brand
matters as long as it's in specs...
Old September 8th, 2022, 16:34
NAXJA Forum User

I use red. Brownish gold in the engine.
Old September 8th, 2022, 16:56
NAXJA Member

I use the lowest price of dex/merc. I tried mobile 1 full synthetic years ago and found that it caused torque converter slippage confirmed by lower stall speed. After flushing system stall returned to normal. 2200 rpm’s if memory serves.
Old September 10th, 2022, 17:49
NAXJA Forum User

Well I’m glad I read this posting…fill like a idiot I just rebuilt my transfer case 3 months ago. I thought it took gear oil like the differentials.
Old September 12th, 2022, 13:58
NAXJA Forum User

I was at a flea market on Sunday (it's only a 5, 10 minute walk, so the draw's irresistible) & I see 2 5 litre jugs of ATF: unknown brand but Dexron 3 so I asked the price - £5? says the man (seemed a bit unsure of what he had). I must've hesitated, 'cos he asked if I wanted both, I said "yes" &, assuming he meant £5 a piece, handed over a tenner - & his wife gave me £5 change. Result!

Anyway when I got back I studied the label a bit closer & it said Dexron IIIh, which was a new one on me. Further reading reveals it's compatible with Chrysler ATF+4. Oh well, not such a bargain - unless I keep the KJ long enough. Meanwhile, it'll do for a top-off in an emergency or, I suppose, for the transfer case, which doesn't seem so fussy/critical.