• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help! steering stabalizer

TritonXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone using a steering stabalizer with the jks Quick Disconnects? I have a sky jacker 8" lift and with the dicos on you can't mount the stabalizer anymore. have been running it like this for 4 years but want it safer on road. if you are pls post pics if you would so i can see how you did it.

I was planning on fabing my own set up but wanted to see what everyone else was doing. I just resigned up here because I for got my user name and password from about 4 years ago.

First pic is with the discos so you can see were it used to mount in the second pic with SkyJacker disco's (aka crappers) now that the JKS's are on can't use the old bracket.

Thx guys for any suggestions.
XJfrontendwithoutshockstabalizer.jpg
XJwithstabalizer.jpg

8" of lift and stock steering :lecture:

It looks like it should be pretty easy to fabricate a new one or modify the existing bracket to make it mount there.

Michael

Ok well no one had any ideas so this is what I ended up with. I had a buddy of mine fab a bracket up.

So if anyone else runs into this problem I hope this post will help them.

This is what the new steering stabalizer mount looks like. it is mounted where the trac bar mounts, it's about 1/4 inch steel.

IMG_1126.jpg

You can see that the bracket is on a slight angle to offset the holes for more clearence to get the disco off. You can only off set a little because you will start to bottom out the stabalizer when the wheels are turned all the way to the left. To help with that we also replaced the turning radius screws on the knuckel. See pics at the bottom of post.

IMG_1125.jpg

this is the view from the back you can see how we made it stronger welding it all the way around the frame were the trac bar mounts.

IMG_1132.jpg

IMG_1130.jpg

back view of bracket.

IMG_1128.jpg

You can see here that I actually shaved maybe 3/16 off the diconnect so it would come off even easier with out hitting the stabalizer.

IMG_1142.jpg

This is the driver side, so you can tell how much was cut off.

IMG_1143.jpg

Also changed turning radius screws so not to bottom out the shock. it's not much maybe 1/4 inch which also helps eliminate torqing the front end when the wheels are turned all the way in either direction but more so to the left and you give it that extra inch of turn, if you watch it when someone turns your wheel it's amazing how much it tweeks everything in the front end. this will eliminate wear and tear and the possability of breaking stuff.

IMG_1140.jpg

IMG_1141.jpg

Correct me if i'm wrong, but do you have your trac bar hooked up to your axle where your steering stabilizer used to be mounted?

jeeperguy21 said:
Correct me if i'm wrong, but do you have your trac bar hooked up to your axle where your steering stabilizer used to be mounted?

No, The trac bar is where it is supposed to be it's the stabalizer bracket that is moved. I had to fab a new bracket because i'm using the JKS discos and you can not remove them for articulation unless the bracket is modified. this is only if you choose to re-attach your stabalizer. I drive my XJ on the road so I wanted it on there.

The first pic is how it was originally.

I'm going to have to agree with jeeperguy after looking at your original pics

Where mine lives, with OTK modded Currie steering. Unless you consistantly smack you axle housing with rocks, trees and small varmints, the SS should hang there just fine. Don't have OTK steering? You know you want it..........

100_2981.jpg

i just looked at mine and your track bar is where your sabilizer goes and the the hole below it and an inch or to tward the passenger side is where the track bar goes. you can see the hole in the first pics you posted

erp467 said:
i just looked at mine and your track bar is where your sabilizer goes and the the hole below it and an inch or to tward the passenger side is where the track bar goes. you can see the hole in the first pics you posted

That's because what that horrendous marketing abortion that Skyjacker calls an "8" lift", they include a freakishly huge drop pitman arm. The only way to correct for bumpsteer is to relocate the trackbar so it's the same angle as the 'corrected' steering linkage.

This is the first time that I have seen this done. Is the steering stabilizer axle mount strong enough to have the trac bar attach to it? This seems like a good solution to mount the trac bar above the axle if it is. Your thoughts?

ECKSJAY said:
That's because what that horrendous marketing abortion that Skyjacker calls an "8" lift", they include a freakishly huge drop pitman arm. The only way to correct for bumpsteer is to relocate the trackbar so it's the same angle as the 'corrected' steering linkage.

Guys sorry for the confusion! Yes the trac bar is below axle originally but like ECKSJAY stated above is correct! I thought when I explained in the first post that I had an 8" skyjacker lift that everyone would know it was relocated to where the steering stabilizer used to be. Which means the stabilizer needs a new home. That is how SkyJacker does it. Of course I should not have assumed because not everyone has seen the skyjacker 8" lift. Sorry again for the confusion.

If anyone modifies there steering like this they will need to do something very similar to what I did, ONLY if they want to run a stabilizer and use JKS Quick Discos

Quote: This is the first time that I have seen this done. Is the steering stabilizer axle mount strong enough to have the trac bar attach to it? This seems like a good solution to mount the trac bar above the axle if it is. Your thoughts?

Yes I have run it this way a long time and never had any issues!

Back