• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering stabalizer

nope like he said it is bolted on with nut and castle nut... sometimes you have to unbolt and tap the stud out it can get frozen in there sometimes... replacing stabilizer?

The stud in question is a tapered fit in the drag link, and may require considerable force to get it off. You might be able to do it with a pickle fork, or by hammering hard on the side of the drag link where the stud goes through (not on the stud itself - on the side of the part the stud goes through - it will often cause the stud to pop out). For hammering, it helps to have some tension on the stud, either with a pickle fork or puller. Then hit the side of the drag link briskly with a fairly heavy steel hammer. It needs to be a hard hammer but not so heavy that it twangs the whole steering assembly around. The idea is to deliver a sharp shock to the metal. A small hand sledge or a biggish ball peen hammer works.

However you do this, thread the nut loosely back on the stud, so that if and when it lets go it does not fly apart and cause injury or damage. It can really pop, and you don't want to lose any teeth, eyes, etc.

Do not hit the stud without the nut on it. If you do it will mushroom the stud and then you will be drilling it out. I know because I made this mistake!
Get yourself a pickle fork and do it the right way. You will need that pickle fork again in the future.

Jess said:
Do not hit the stud without the nut on it. If you do it will mushroom the stud and then you will be drilling it out. I know because I made this mistake!
Get yourself a pickle fork and do it the right way. You will need that pickle fork again in the future.
\

I would say do not hit the stud at all. It almost certainly won't pop it, and even with the nut on you can end up damaging it and the nut. If you hit anything, hit the side of the part the stud goes through. Same goes for tie rod ends.

Back