• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical gremlin

alexgalexg

NAXJA Forum User
1998 jeep xj 4.0
On the way to work my check gauges light came on and my battery gauge went out. Alt is brand new grounds are clean. Then my radio turned off for about 1 second and turned back on and my gauge came back as well as the radio and all was normal.
Fuses maybe? Anyone know which wires, grounds, fuses ect to look at?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Update:
After writing this I shut the engine off and opened my door. Lost power to everything. No door chime, done light, power to ignition. Nothing. It disappeared.
Walked away to go inside to tell people I was going to be a few mins late, walked back out and power is back.

That's typically the gauge cluster harness.

I think they even put out a TSB on it.

The symptoms described are from low battery voltage. Either battery/alternator/ground connection issues, or a faulty alternator with sticky brushes. Brand new alternator, or rebuilt ? Cheap Chinese rebuilt alternators have about a 20% failure rate.

The 97-01 cluster TSB symptoms are instant/complete failure of the entire cluster that can be temporarily remedied with a slap to the dash.

Last edited:
The 97-01 cluster TSB symptoms are instant/complete failure of the entire cluster that can be temporarily remedied with a slap to the dash.

Not in my experience, I've never had "complete" failure (define complete)or the requirement to slap the dash. I used to hit it in the beginning but it always seemed to restore itself shortly after running(maybe vibrations)? I bought my 2k brand new so I've been there since the beginning and it still occasionally does it.

The symptoms described are from low battery voltage. Either battery/alternator/ground connection issues, or a faulty alternator with sticky brushes. Brand new alternator, or rebuilt ? Cheap Chinese rebuilt alternators have about a 20% failure rate.

Alternator is new new delco. It starts up fine without a slow crank. Also when the gauge died it fell to the max power side as opposed to the low where they usually sit when you turn the vehicle off

Yep! Mine been doing it for so long, I forgot "completely" to look at it when I had the gauge cluster out last year! :doh:

Yep! Mine been doing it for so long, I forgot "completely" to look at it when I had the gauge cluster out last year! :doh:
Ok hopefully it doesnt happen while the vehicle is running. I go in vacation tomorrow and I need that truck to take me 1000 miles without a problem. I would like to completely remedy this problem is possible when I return. Thanks guys! You were all helpful I'll post an update soon : )

I have never had it stop running when this happens. Just the other day I did get a "shutter" like it went into "limp" mode, but it was just for a second.

I should have added look for post's - loss of buss signal or loss of buss, there are a lot of threads on this!

..... when the gauge died it fell to the max power side as opposed to the low where they usually sit when you turn the vehicle off

If the dashboard gauge falls to about 9 volts there is usually an alternator issue. If the dashboard gauge climbs to about 19 volts there is usually a loss of connection issue, loose/corroded battery terminals/lugs or loose wire connections, or cables with internal corrosion.

standard.jpg

If the dashboard gauge falls to about 9 volts there is usually an alternator issue. If the dashboard gauge climbs to about 19 volts there is usually a loss of connection issue, loose/corroded battery terminals/lugs or loose wire connections, or cables with internal corrosion.

standard.jpg
I'm pretty sure you are spot on with this. After work I went out to my jeep and it was dead again. All I did was touch the negative terminal and it came back to life.

I have to take in on vacation today so I wont have time to do more than clean the connectors. When I get back I will see what I can do to fix this.

You were right. It was the lead. And guess what happened on our road trip! So far so good but we aren't done until Friday : )
e92ae9bf0eb106aa1386809a719b9373.jpg
4d790ad5aed481bb594109b5d187bcd1.jpg

Battery terminals and cables are usually at fault in a failure like this. Sounds like they were for you.

The gauges going dead abruptly and NO BUS showing up while the Jeep continues to run and drive fine is the issue RCP Phx described.

Battery terminals and cables are usually at fault in a failure like this. Sounds like they were for you.

The gauges going dead abruptly and NO BUS showing up while the Jeep continues to run and drive fine is the issue RCP Phx described.
Yeah he was right. Thankfully wasnt the wiring harness thing. I cleaned up the lead and it hasn't done it since! And it has done over 500 miles this week on the road trip. Roughly 150 more miles to go before we are home again

Back