• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fan Clutch upgrade

Black1990jeep

NAXJA Forum User
I need a new Fan Clutch. I have read how a Grand Cherokee Fan clutch can offer better cooling but make a lot of noise.
Also I have Air Conditioning, a tranny cooler and steering cooler mounted ahead of the stock radiator, AND I plan going to hot Death Valley
Is it really horrible noise?

Also, I have 33 inch offroad tires, 4.1 diffs so engine rpm should be close to stock tire speed, and for crawling I have a 4.3 transfer case. I camp and wheel, so need to drive 100s of miles each way on highways at up to 70 or 75 mph, how bad will the fan noise be then?
I assume I can benefit from the additional cooling given my planned usage, but have read some folks regret the noise and even go back to a stock fan clutch.
Id like to make as informed choice as possible, will the fan scream on the interstate? I am used to loud cars, driving aircooled VWs.
I am a bit concerned with cooling however, Death Valley wheeling can be very hot! Same for going over Tioga Pass in Yosemite, 10000 feet.

I'm interested in what t-case you have to get that ratio?

I did the zj upgrade and the noise isn't bad. As you are lifted and I'm sure your xj makes some noises as it is (bc most do) you wont notice, especially as you get use to it. I think people exaggerate the sound a bit.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'm interested in what t-case you have to get that ratio?

Atlas II transfer case. My Cherokee came pretty loaded with crawling equipment, bought from a guy who owned it since 91. He and his wife did a lot of offroading, ARB front locker, Eaton rear limited slip, Currie Rear end, 4 wheel disc brakes, raised, etc... Pretty mean machine, I can hardly wait to try it out off road, probably in two weeks, assuming I get it all sorted out. It had sat unused for many years before he sold it, so it needs attention.

I did the zj upgrade and the noise isn't bad. As you are lifted and I'm sure your xj makes some noises as it is (bc most do) you wont notice, especially as you get use to it. I think people exaggerate the sound a bit.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Which brand clutch did you get?

I only really notice it going slow and it's pretty loud compared to stock but it doesn't bother me. Can't hear it at speed, too many other noise when driving 75 mph!

This. Only time I notice it is in 1st gear, where it sounds like Brown Santa's sleigh (UPS) making its rounds. After that, MTs and 21 year old Jeep drowns it out.

I ran one for over a year and finally got rid of it and installed a new, stock fan clutch.The constant noise was a pain and I saw a 1-MPG loss in gas mileage.
In the winter, with the fan constantly engaged, the engine was overcooled.
It may perfect for a trail only rig but not for daily driver, IMO

I ran one for over a year and finally got rid of it and installed a new, stock fan clutch.The constant noise was a pain and I saw a 1-MPG loss in gas mileage.
In the winter, with the fan constantly engaged, the engine was overcooled.
It may perfect for a trail only rig but not for daily driver, IMO

Same here, I went back to stock and have had zero cooling issues even on 90+ degree days crawling with the AC on.

I don't play in Death Valley so YMMV

Back