• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fire Extinguisher care

Grizzley

NAXJA Forum User
Here in New England we have a magazine called "On The Water" that covers about every type of fishing there is. One of the columns is called "Ask Pops" and he gives and gets a lot of different info there. Reading this months issue, I came across this letter he received and I felt that it was important enough for all of us that I wrote and received permission to reproduce it here. I didn't know, nor had I ever read, about any type of care for fire extinguisher other than making sure they were charged. Mine is down next to the driver's seat in the horizontal position, but I think I'll still take it out once in a while to give it a bump. I can imagine that the vibrations from driving on road with off road tires and the bouncing around off road would probably do that same thing that the waves do to the small boat. A big thanks to "On The Water" for allowing me to share the following info. http://www.onthewater.com/

(from On The Water magazine, April 2006, Used by permission, all rights reserved)

Hi Pops,
I wanted to write you and let you know I enjoy your articles and get a kick out of some of your answers, but I would like to ask you a favor.

I’m a retired fire inspector (Falmouth, Massachusetts) and I would like to send a tip to your readers and that would be the proper storage of your fire extinguisher. I know that all vessels that require them have them mounted in a vertical position, but the BEST way to mount a fire extinguisher on a small craft is in a horizontal position. I know space is a concern for any vessel but the constant pounding a boat takes while underway actually packs the powder. Mounting the extinguisher in a horizontal position reduces this problem. If horizontal mounting can’t be done due to space, I suggest hitting the canister with a rubber mallet or the wooden handle of a hammer gaff or anything that you have on board. Your extinguisher might read full but if it’s packed solid from pounding it won’t work and that could lead to disaster and fire at sea is our worst enemy.

Respectfully,
Ernie Valerio
[email protected]

So there it is, hope it keeps someone safe.

Grizzley
NAC Recorder

So this would be the best way to mount it?

100_1108.jpg

Exactly how i have mine 12guage. Only on the other side. No excuse for not having one of these. Cheap and easy to mount.

old wives tale.....

All of the new powders are treated for prohibiting caking. What do you think happens to the powder a few hours after you "fluff" the extinguisher???

It settles right back down to where it was before!!!!!

the only things you need to really remember is that disposable extinguishers should not be used after 12 years. Rechargeable ones should be checked at 6 year intervals for interior caking.

12GaugeXJ said:
So this would be the best way to mount it?

No. When your engine is on fire, do you really want to get out, run to the back, mess with the swingout/hatch/whatever, grab the extinguisher, and run back to the front? How about if you layed the Jeep over onto the passenger side first?

Keep it close, keep it convenient, keep it useful.

Not an old wives tale- fact. The powder does pack and the extinguisher becomes unusable on demand - I've had it happen with a Kidde. I grabbed a mallot, gave it a couple wacks on the bottom and it started working fine.

Vertical or horizontal makes no differerence.

Keep your extinguisher where you can reach it ASAP. Mounting that baby in the back is about as usefull as 'teats on a boar' when you are in a hurry.

Mine is mounted along the front of the seat on the XJ and along the side of the seat on the YJ. In either case it is with in easy access without even unbucking the belt.

Zuki-Ron said:
Not an old wives tale- fact. The powder does pack and the extinguisher becomes unusable on demand - I've had it happen with a Kidde. I grabbed a mallot, gave it a couple wacks on the bottom and it started working fine.

Vertical or horizontal makes no differerence.

Keep your extinguisher where you can reach it ASAP. Mounting that baby in the back is about as usefull as 'teats on a boar' when you are in a hurry.

Mine is mounted along the front of the seat on the XJ and along the side of the seat on the YJ. In either case it is with in easy access without even unbucking the belt.

Show me. :)

Back