• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX15 swap question

LJRockstar

NAXJA Forum User
The last few weekends I’ve been working on swapping in an AX15 to my formerly automatic 96 with 4.0. Most of the conversion has gone pretty smooth and I should be ready to start it up and take it for a ride this weekend. But something just occurred to me that I really haven’t given much thought to.

What wires in the old Automatic harness will I have to jump to make the Jeep think it’s in park so I can start it? (I haven’t tried to start it yet because the starter still hasn’t been installed) Also is there any reason I would have to leave the auto trans module installed or can that come out and go on eBay?

Thanks in advance!

I'm wanting to AX-15 swap my 99 as well, and this is one of the questions I had. I've never done a trans swap myself so is there anything else that would be good to know that isn't obvious or a given? Thanks

Everything was pretty straight forward, you’ll need a lot of little ancillary items though. CPS, the tin that covers the front of the bell housing will work but it is different, the trans tunnel cover is different, the actual trans mount is the same but the bracket that attaches it to the bottom of the trans is completely different. You’ll need all the proper shifter boots and trim. I did an SYE so I know the rear drive shaft is goito be different. Haven’t tried to install the front yet but it looks like it’ll work without modifying. I’m just about to sit down with the multimeter and try to figure the wiring situation out. If I get definitive results I’ll post that up. Bear in mind I have no intention to set up any type of safety interlocks. My plan is to be able to engage the starter even if it’s in gear with the clutch pedal released. The most difficult part of this so far was actually getting the clutch/brake pedal installed without removing the entire dash. The firewall is actually marked where the clutch master is supposed to be. I’ll also need to figure out how the reverse light switch will interface with the automatic harness. That should be no biggie though. Good luck with your project!

I have a '96 with a factory AX15. Mine has no safety interlock. It will turn over the starter any time you turn the key that far, regardless of clutch or shifter position.

I don't think the lawyers figured you could get into much trouble with a 4.0L. My '95 Cummins is another matter. Clutch has to be down in order to start that one.

AX15 swap is pretty easy. Just jump the pins on the plug to the NSS. I can grab some pictures of mine later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On my 96 ax15 swap I got the plug diagram for the nss and connected the park wires together. While I was at it hooked up my reverse lights to the ax15 reverse switch. I removed my trans computer with no issues, but do have a check engine lamp for vehicle speed while in park and my idle was low. I bumped the idle set screw on the bottom of the throttle body.

Back