• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fire Extinguisher????

wheeling365

NAXJA Forum User
Wanted to get some feedback on mounting a fire extinguisher in the back of my 2000 XJ. I'm not really looking to drill all sorts of holes into the plastic trim or floor to secure it from rolling around but am debating mounting it to the subwoofer box that I have in the back. My concern is that subjecting it to constant vibration from the speaker would cause some form of damage to it or make it unsafe/unusable? Anyone else have one mounted like this or have some input before I make a decision on it?

Probably not, there isnt really any vibration sensitive components in those.

Think about raceing rigs that have theirs attached to their cage. Those have to get tonnes of vibes, yet they are ok.

I would be more concerned about altering the performance of the sub.

If it's a dry chem, flip it over once in a while so the contents don't get compacted into a solid block.

That being said I'd put another one up front if you mount it in the back... it looks nice and stows well in the back, but isn't easy to get to.

mounted a 20.00 auto one from lowes on the floor between the door and seat.had to use it once on a fellow xjers rig. (power steering line popped and caught fire) wow it happend so quick, the extingusher was quickly and easily accessed without me even thinking while getting out of my rig. i definetly recomend having an exstiguisher easily accessable up front as well.

If it's a dry chem, flip it over once in a while so the contents don't get compacted into a solid block.

That being said I'd put another one up front if you mount it in the back... it looks nice and stows well in the back, but isn't easy to get to.

Yep, smack it with a plastic mallet severely on occasion.

Yup....X2 on what Crash02 said. I had the same situation and having it handy sure cuts down on the response time.

In fact, our local club requres a fire extinguisher that's within reach of a SEATED driver.

Back