• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fire Extinguisher mounts?

yellowxj

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for a metal mount (or plastic I guess) that wont pop open in a roll over...for a 2.5lb fire extinguisher...anyone have any favorites?

Also axle tube seals? any favorites?

Thanks.

just a regular 2.5lb kidde type fire extinguisher, it weighs 5.5lb and is 15" tall about 4" diameter...I was leaning toward something out of velcro too...right now mines held in by 4 zip ties...it hasnt gone anywhere and I'm pretty sure I could break them all first try but it isnt right...

I saw some rubber tie down things but they were only rated to 22lbs and I wonder how much force a 5.5lb exerts on its restraints during a roll over or crash...
I wish I paid more attention in math/science...and spelling

Quick Fist

http://www.endroad.com/page/page/669246.htm
http://www.endroad.com/page/page/711712.htm

I'm getting some for my extiguiser and a few other things.

er-10010_installed_2.jpg

er-20020_installed.jpg

I'd just use some sort of metal loops for a base, and make a strap out of 1" Nylon webbing and Velcro - but I've got yards of the stuff around anyhow, and a machine that doesn't (usually...) choke when sewing it. That's how I also made the straps that hold my sub tube in - and the connections are done with "locking" banana plugs, so I can remove it when I need the room. Works great - I just strap it to the cargo loops on the driver's side when it's there, and I can pull it if I need to...

I see no reason why you can't do something similar for pretty much anything. CAVEAT - if you're going to do this for something you're likely to need in any sort of hurry (like a fire extinguisher...) leave an inch to an inch and a half of the web "loose" as a pull tab, and use only an inch or two of Velcro to secure it. Make sure it fully overlaps (for security,) but keep it short (for rapid access...)

Why Velcro? Because the more you shake it, the tighter it holds. It's nice like that...

5-90

the local fire system installer/welding shop has some really nice metal brackets. There's no clasp on them so you can grab the extinguisher quickly, but I don't think it will fall out. It takes quite a pull to get the extinguisher out. They were crash rated. I'd check your local shops.

Thanks kids...that cheap rubber do hickey is supposed to hold 50lbs. If I read the product description right...I guess I'll give it a try...got to get everything in the heep tied down...one of those things I keep saying...everything needs to be secure so I dont get hit by it...a friend flopped his jeep and his kid got a cooler dumped on him...not a big deal but I keep putting off securing everything or having the items on hand TO secure everything...

Back